Pump for Above Ground Pool

Hello everyone.
I am thinking of installing a small above ground pool in my back yard for my kids. I was thinking of this one here: Pool
I have a couple of questions.
First, I was thinking of getting this pump and filter combo: Pump / Filter
I know that this pump seems to be overkill for the size of the pool, but I also wanted to add a skimmer, and LED waterfall for the kids. Does this pump look good for this project? Any recommendations?

Secondly, I know that in ground pools have to have the pump and metallic components grounded/bonded for safety. And the same goes for the windows, if the pool is within 5 feet of the home. Do the same rules apply to the above ground pool? I don't see this mentioned much.

Thanks all.

You didn't mention the size pool you are considering for your kids, but that 12" pump/filter combo is about as small as you can go for a small AGP. Depending on the size of this proposed pool, you might consider a 16 inch combo just for the additional filtration ability. The pool and equipment should be "bonded" for safety which is a bit different than grounding that occurs from the electrical connections themselves. Not sure what you mean about the house windows. Never heard that one before. :scratch:

In looking at the Intex XTR 18ft x 52in round above ground pool. I see that it comes with a 12in pump. Here: Intex XTR 18ft x 52in.

I see comments going back and forth about the pumps for Intex pools being under powered. Some people upgrade to Hayward, others say the intex pump works fine. I am curious, with this 18x52 pool, if upgrading and buying the Intex 16in Pump/Filter combo would be beneficial, and good for this pool to run a skimmer and/or cleaning robot and waterfall as extras. This pump: Intex 16in Pump

Thanks all.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The pump/filter that comes with that size pool is like spitting into the ocean. I would definitely go with the 16”.

I did not bond my Intex, as it was technically a temporary pool. I did not run the pump while we were in it, even though it did have GFCI plug.

Thanks for the replies. I know that many people do not bother with bonding the pool or pump due to the temporary nature of the pool, plus the fact that there is GFCI protection on the pumps.
What I am wanting to do is run the pump while the pool is occupied at times, as I am going to be adding water features, like the LED waterfall, which becomes pointless if the pump is off while people are swimming. I have read the manual for the 16in Intex pumps, and they do not require them to be turned off while the pool is occupied, as other pumps do. I was just thinking if I plan to run the pump for water features, perhaps I needed to bond the pool, and the pool water as well.
Those are my thoughts.

Thanks for the replies. I know that many people do not bother with bonding the pool or pump due to the temporary nature of the pool, plus the fact that there is GFCI protection on the pumps.
What I am wanting to do is run the pump while the pool is occupied at times, as I am going to be adding water features, like the LED waterfall, which becomes pointless if the pump is off while people are swimming. I have read the manual for the 16in Intex pumps, and they do not require them to be turned off while the pool is occupied, as other pumps do. I was just thinking if I plan to run the pump for water features, perhaps I needed to bond the pool, and the pool water as well.
Those are my thoughts.
You may not be legally required to do so given it’s a temporary pool, but it would certainly be safer if you do.

It’s up to you if it’s worth it.

Reactions: JoniTull
Those are my thoughts.
I have run all my intex pools while in use. Not doing so has the logic of unplugging your hot water heater before showering in my opinion.
There is no explanation for that recommendation in the manual - whether it be for entrapment prevention purposes (such as hair in the intake) or electrical safety reasons. Obviously it is to obsolve them from some liability. Keep in mind these same people make a storable/temporary hot tub that doesn’t have the “un plug 🔌 it” warning. This is possibly because the manual specifically forbids children to use the product (although anyone could become entrapped)
Your risk tolerance may vary on the subject.
All my temporary intex style pools have not been bonded.
They have been gfci protected (which trips when a small imbalance between neutral & hot occurs)
& were also fed by a functioning properly sized over current device (breaker) with a proper equipment grounding conductor so a trip would occur in the event of an over current or dead short.
The pumps were also all double insulated. (This also excludes the pump from bonding requirements)

Grounding & bonding are two different things.
Bonding simply makes everything the same potential- in the water & around the pool. It does not provide a path to ground. It is intended for protection from stray currents - whether they may come from the environment or your isolated pool equipment (which as stated above has 3 systems in place to prevent electric shock). All This is not to say that you shouldn’t bond your temporary pool to protect yourself in & around the pool from stray currents if you wish, but merely to explain why it is not required.
You can bond the frame of the pool, the water, & metal ladder if you wish but bonding the intex pump is a different matter as it has no bonding lug & is encased in plastic requiring you to possibly take it apart to accomplish this task as they are not designed to be bonded (unless new models have changed). If you wish to bond the pump you may want to get a regular permanent above ground pool pump which comes with a dedicated bonding lug. If you decide to go ahead & bond your temporary pool but are still going to use the intex pump you can still run the piece for the pump but just not connect it so it’s there for the future if you upgrade your pump to one that is not double insulated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.