brianne27

Aug 4, 2021
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! This is my first post, so please bear with me as I don’t have all of the lingo or acronyms down. Have been a frequent visitor to pools my whole life, finally at 40 got my first real one. I love it.

Went with a 16x32 intex vinyl, the kind with the support “beams” and not a metal sided pool.

Bought in august of 2021, set up for the remainder of the season, so about two months. Knew it would come down so we could fix any issues we couldn’t expect, and planning on permanently setting it up next month.

There are various things I will be asking for advice on, but in this thread it’s about the filter system. Whatever the heck intex was thinking when they sent out this massive pool with the crappiest pump/filter…
I don’t know the specs, but it’s just not big enough for 15k gallons. And it’s location is near a corner, but there’s not much I can do there as the holes are in the vinyl. However, I can’t even get a vacuum to attach because of the size (bought a robot, no regrets). I really want to invest in a more robust system, but I dont know what would be compatible with my setup, and I don’t know what to look for to even find that out. I’ve got a few hundred bucks to play with, so I’m not looking for the cheapest option (nor the gold plated one), but an effective and powerful pump. Or filter. See, I don’t even know really what I’m looking for.

I found a skimmer attachment which had made me excited, but not sure if it’s compatible either.

How do I figure out what I’m looking for, and has anyone else been in my shoes?

I’m great with the chemicals and all that, and am happy to do my research, but it keeps bringing me here to you fine people. Please help me get where I need to be!

Thanks in advance for any direction.

Welcome :)
I have upgraded my setup with 1.5" PVC plumbing coupled with a Hayward PowerFlo Martrix 1hp (W3SP1592) and Hayward 18" Pro Series Sand Filter (W3S180T) This is an overkill and more than sufficient. The only thing to note is that it is a single speed pump and not variable. I have it hooked up to a "smart" outlet and run the pump about 8 hours a day or if my son wants the fountain going. I would also note you might want to think about adding a Salt Water Generator. I have a CircuPool on order for mine to replace the POS Intex one.

What robot did you get?

I'll be posting some pictures of my plumbing as I will be redoing it int he next week or 2 due to wanting to move my pump/filter to a new location.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.