pump filter skimmer now drains down every night

Jan 16, 2015
Sunnyvale CA
I have a hayward variable speed pump put in 2 years ago with new PVC plumbing taking in water from pool.
In the past two years the skimmer filter on the pump would almost fill to the top each time started motor. The
skimmer filter would retain the same height of water (about 2 inches above top of inlet pipe) overnight.

Now the skimmer filter drains backward into pool every night so that the water level is roughly at the bottom of the inlet pipe.
No water leaks showing anywhere. Pump now takes 30 seconds to prime when I turn it on. Used to get to full pressure almost
instantaneously. Do I need new O-rings? new impeller? Any tests I can run to identify problem? Much thanks.

tj,

Sounds like a suction side air leak to me... The very first place to look is the O-Ring under the pump lid.. Inspect it and then Lube it with pool lube.

The next place to look would be any valves in front of the pump. They can also let ari leak in..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.