pump doesn't prime after motor replacement

seraph

Apr 19, 2017
Southlake
:mad:Seems I am facing challenge one after another with the pool while I am always be able to get great suggestion/help from expert in TFP. :)

After long investigation, I end up replacing current 2hp single speed motor with 2 speed 1 hp motor, but pump doesn't prime after replacement.

Pool: 14000 gallon in ground with booster pump. no other water facility

old single speed motor: sf=1.2 hp=2
Motor 56j Thrd Full 2hp (b130)

new 2 speed motor: sf=1.5 hp=1
A.O. Smith 1 H.P Round Flange Dual Speed Full Rate Motor W/Out Switch (STS1102, STS1102RV1) STS1102
Hayward Impeller, Sp 2610-c (spx2610c)

motor/impeller/gokit2/toggle switch were confirmed by inyopools.
shaft seal was also replaced, and installer didn't touch the ceramic surface.

Apart from the motor / impeller / shaft seal / gasket replacement, nothing else was touch, hence there shouldn't be any issue in suction side.

After installation, low speed is quiet, high speed sound louder - assume normal.

Problem: pump doesn't prime, after running for 20~30 minutes

What we tried:
1. pour water into the pump wet end
2. release air from filter

Observation:
1. We DID notice some bubble from one of the eyeball, which is weak comparing to normal. Nothing noticeable from other eyeball or skimmer.
2. When pump lid is open, the water is sucked immediately, so pump is sucking water.

Installer noticed water leak under the pump.

Please kind advise the potential reason and how to fix.

Thanks in advance again.

the issue is fixed for the time being after a few hours on troubleshooting.

1. major issue: the new impeller is shorter than old one, hence it is not connecting to diffuser properly, hence water kept flowing out.
2. Another potential issue: I suspect the spring in the others side of new impeller didn't pop up properly , which cause leakage with ceramic piece.

I had to use the old impeller with new pool until I buy a impeller with right size, although I knew it is wrong.

One question: my pump is hayward super II. The new impeller(which is shorter) is SPX2610C.

where can I find the right version of impeller? 1 hp full rate

or should I replace the diffuser?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.