Pump Disassembly - Worried about the flange and other issues.

Apr 17, 2015
Cypress, TX
I'm doing motor maintenance and have 2 questions. I bought the pool/house 2 years ago and looks like the previous owners were not too good on maintenance (or that I'm very picky :)

1) The seal on my pentair Intelliflo gave up and there is leaking every now and then (looks like the leaking stops after the pump has run for an hour or so and then starts again next day.
The problem I have is that the flange of the pump looks pretty beat up see pic: Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-02-16 08.30.30.png
I'm worried that the flange will give up when taking it apart, I looked online but cannot find where to buy just that part. Is it possible to get just the flange of an intelliflo?

Now to the other issue
2) I disassembled the waterfall pump to change the motor but.. the 4 bolts from the motor flange to the back plate of the pump are completely stuck!! I drenched them in WD40 but still no luck, any tricks on trying to get them out without damaging the pump plate?

Thanks!!!!!

Thanks so much @kadavis, I think the seal plate should be ok my worry is the actual motor flange, check the pic I linked and look at the thread on the top screw that is securing the motor to the seal plate.

Any insight on my other question re: stuck bolts?

Seal plate probably is ok. Fortunately it isn't metal. The one thing i dont like about the Whisperflow though is that it sits so low to the ground. You cannot discern exactly where the leak is coming from. There are two places that water can come from when you see it in that place. The fact that you have corrosion on the motor suggests that is is a seal, but at this point, it could be leaking from both areas. When replacing a seal, you would typically replace the seal plate gasket anyway.

Loosening the motor bolts can be tricky. What i do is when i first start this repair, is to see if i can loosen those bolts while it is still bolted up to the pump. This makes the pump hold the motor so you can get some good leverage on the motor bolts. You don't need to remove them at that time, just break em loose, then move on to the housing or seal plate bolts.

Thanks Pool Clown. I'll try breaking loose the bolts while still in place, for this one.

Will post my results, this is my weekend project. Hopefully it will not end with me buying a new motor or pump :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.