Pump Broken - Would Surface Pump Help From Going Green?

Jun 12, 2015
Waterdown, Ontario
So my pump busted last night and I'm waiting for the pool company to come tomorrow. I'm assuming I'll be down at least a few days. The forecast is hot with tons of rain so I'm worried about the pool going green on me. I've added a bunch of chlorine today and will brush at least once a day. I have two quesitons though and I'm hoping someone can assist:

1. Would it be beneficial to run a small pump (the one I use to drain the surface water off the winter cover) and direct the water back into the pool to keep it at least circulating a little bit? I have that set up now and the hose is spraying the pool water nicely back into the pool and seems to be moving the surface around at least.

2. When would I add more chlorine? I'm assuming I should get a test kit to keep an eye on the chlorine levels?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks!

Your cover pump should be able to move the water. A quick brushing of the deeper end may be useful each day.

You need a test kit all the time. But for now you need a Chlorine/pH two way kit. Should be able to get at Canadian Tire or Walmart. Add chlorine each day. Do you know your CYA ppm? Follow [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Do get your own proper test kit soon. Google says you are relatively close to the US border. You can order a TF100 or Taylor K2006C and have it shipped to a mail drop in the US and then drive over the border and pick it up. Will save you quite a bit of money.

Take care.

When my pump was out I just added the required chlorine every day and stirred it with my pool brush. Pump was out 8-10 days (can't remember exactly, it's on here somewhere). It was in the 100+ temps. And my pool stayed sparkly clean. :kim:
Sherry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.