Pump and SWG wiring question

May 19, 2013
I have a 230V pump (sta-rite Max E Pro 2HP, 11.2 amp) and a 110v SWG (Pentair IC15, 4 amp) on separate switches at my pad. I would like to put both on a t104R intermatic timer, but not sure this is possible.

Pictured below is my pad setup. the left switch is the 220 that goes to the pump. the right switch is 110, goes to GFI and then to SWG. Coming off the GFI is also a transformer that goes to low voltage pool lighting.

The IC15 manual suggests cutting the electrical cord below the plug and hardwiring to the timer, but I assume this would not work, as it assumes that the input to the timer is 110v, and there is also no GFI protection.

My thought is to connect the 220 switch to the intermatic 104, and then adding a separate outlet timer to the GFI outlet (the kind you would use with christmas lights) and synchronizing those 2 timers. Is there a better hardwire option? thanks in advance.....

67805982355__2F3A74CE-5CD1-442D-B8E0-A45FCDEC7853.jpeg

You wouldn't be able to use a GFCI because when power is off to the GFCI, the reset button would need to be switched on. The other problem with going from a 220 volt system is usually a lacking of a neutral wire that a 100 outlet would need. Does your SWG have the ability to be converted to 220.

If you did have two hot wires, a ground and neutral wire at the timer, you could run 1 hot, a neutral and a ground from the timer that controls the pump to a regular switch but your double breaker that feeds the time should be a gfi dbl breaker.

Could you install a step down transformer from 220 to 115? Tie the transformer to the timer as suggested such that both pump and transformer (which is tied to SWCG) turn off together (it would be hard to keep 2 timers in sync). Then tie the 115V SWCG to the transformer. You may need to put the transformer in a weather proof box but that is easily done.

I do believe that most, if not all 110 volt SWG's can be converted to 220 volt using a jumper and vice versa.
I looked at the manual for this specific model. It appears it was made only for 115V. There is no reference to switching to 220V. It even has a plug on the end to just plug into an existing 115V socket. I had to search under all the Pentair SWCG's on their website to find it.

Reactions: almostakeeper
Keep it simple and safe. You want the SWG to come on when the pump runs. In order to have an outlet tied into the pump timer you need 1 hot leg, a neutral and a ground wire plus you would have to have a dbl GFI breaker. the kind with the white curly wire that attaches to the neutral bar and you would need to run a white neutral wire from the GFI breaker to the outlet. The wire size will be the same as the existing hot wires running to the timer. The outlet also should match up with the wire size, either 14 G = 15 amp or 12 G = 20 amp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.