pump and gauge

Pamelalocke

Jun 30, 2020
Lockport ny
I inherited a pool and have put some work into it to get in up and running. mostly structural. had a new pump installed for the sw196t sand filter. The water does not come up to the top and the gauge, which is brand new doesnt register anything? I do not know know much about pools and I am nervous something is very wrong? I live in Lockport NY

Welcome! :wave: When you say "water does not come up to the top", are you referring to looking down from the top of the filter when open (MPV removed)? Can you post a pic of your filter and equipment pad? Is the pump basket full of water and moving water to the pool out of the return jets when the system is assembled and running? Do all settings of the MPV seems to work properly?

if i can figure out how to get a picture on the computer. (-: When i look down at the filter in the pump, water is bubbling but it does not come up to the top and a brand new pressure gauge doesnt register anything. I really appreciate the help and Ill try to get a picture on. It does pump water out of the return jets. Just to show you how little i know what is a MPV? (main pumping vale maybe....).
Also i bought one of those auto vacuums and I didnt get enough pressure to make it move.
Thank you again.

When i look down at the filter in the pump, water is bubbling but it does not come up to the top
That sounds like you are referring to the pump strainer pot, under the clear lid. Maybe? That means the pump is not fully "primed" with water. Also concerning is the lack of pressure on the gauge and no water flow. I suspect the top of your filter MPV (Multi-Port Valve) is either not attached correctly or you may have the IN & OUT hoses connected backwards. You may want to check those carefully.

That sounds like you are referring to the pump strainer pot, under the clear lid. Maybe? That means the pump is not fully "primed" with water. Also concerning is the lack of pressure on the gauge and no water flow. I suspect the top of your filter MPV (Multi-Port Valve) is either not attached correctly or you may have the IN & OUT hoses connected backwards. You may want to check those carefully.
Hi Texas splash; You are correct, it is the strainer pot. when I took the old qauge out water did come gushing out. Is that what you mean by no water flow? How do i fully prime the pump?? How do I make sure the MPV is attached correctly or if the in and out hoses are connected correctly. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you trying to help. I am beside myself. either as you can see....) is there any way you can give me an email I can send the pictures to so I can send them from my computer.
Pamela

Pics should would really help. On the toolbar of each post where you type you should see a small square icon that will allow you to upload a pic or two. On my screen it's the icon right next to the paperclip icon. Your signature does not specify, but this is an above ground pool correct?

Pics should would really help. On the toolbar of each post where you type you should see a small square icon that will allow you to upload a pic or two. On my screen it's the icon right next to the paperclip icon. Your signature does not specify, but this is an above ground pool correct?

Attachments

• 15938904928436591901997699336196.jpg
    15938904928436591901997699336196.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 1593890540919306033927302749514.jpg
    1593890540919306033927302749514.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 15938905652383711363345730466903.jpg
    15938905652383711363345730466903.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1593890590704116628496660939621.jpg
    1593890590704116628496660939621.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 23
  • 15938906435243345729794773700663.jpg
    15938906435243345729794773700663.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay Pamela, many of your pics are showing. :goodjob: The hoses appear to be connected correctly on the sand filter's MPV at the top, so I think you're okay there (for now). But here are some things you should probably check or consider:
1. Since you "inherited" this pool, I suspect the pressure gauge may just be bad. It can happen with any gauge, especially if it was out all winter. So you should consider a replacement like one of the gauges HERE. Very good quality and reasonable prices. Let's hope that resolves that one.
2. About the lack of water flow, let's remember that with an AGP, gravity is your pump's friend. By that I mean water should fall-down effortlessly from the waterline a few feet above the ground, down to the pump below. The only thing in the way appears to be that valve with a PORT 1 or FULL selection. Not sure about that one, but experiment I guess to see which works best to ensure water flow unimpeded to the pump.
3. Make sure the water is up at least halfway in the skimmer opening and that the weir door (flap) is moving well and not stuck. You should feel pretty good suction in that skimmer if you place your hand over the suction hole.
4. For the pump, remove the clear lid and check the O-ring underneath. Make sure it's not cracked or anything. If it's good, make sure it has a generous coating of pool silicone lube on it. That's very important to avoid a "suction air leak" (like drinking from a broken straw). If the pump has a drain plug at the bottom, remove it and check that O-ring as well. Before removing the clear lid or O-ring you'll need to stop water flow from the pool, so close that valve or stick something in the hole in the skimmer.
5. Check those hoses really well. They can crack or get a pinhole very easily and not really leak water out, but they can let air "in".

Let's start there and we'll move on to more troubleshooting later if you still can't get water to fill the pump strainer pot to the top of the clear lid.

Hey Pamela, looking above at all your posts (some duplicates) it appears you somehow got two usernames created (pamelalocke and another pamela locke-harrison). We may try to have our admin folks get that straight, maybe combine into one, so that your posts don't get confused or separated by mistake. For now, try to stick to the same login name or account so we can keep everything together.

I have a little concern about how that Hayward 4-port valve below the skimmer is connected and set. Can you post a pic showing how port 3 of that valve is connected to the pool?

It's also set to draw partially from the skimmer and from port 3. I would set it to draw 100% from the skimmer and see if that allows your pump basket to fill.

I have a little concern about how that Hayward 4-port valve below the skimmer is connected and set. Can you post a pic showing how port 3 of that valve is connected to the pool?

It's also set to draw partially from the skimmer and from port 3. I would set it to draw 100% from the skimmer and see if that allows your pump basket to fill.
Thanks so much for your response Bama. I will try to get you a picture of port three although im not certain where that is. thanks again. ill also set the port one to full.
Hey Pamela, looking above at all your posts (some duplicates) it appears you somehow got two usernames created (pamelalocke and another pamela locke-harrison). We may try to have our admin folks get that straight, maybe combine into one, so that your posts don't get confused or separated by mistake. For now, try to stick to the same login name or account so we can keep everything together.
Okay Pamela, many of your pics are showing. :goodjob: The hoses appear to be connected correctly on the sand filter's MPV at the top, so I think you're okay there (for now). But here are some things you should probably check or consider:
1. Since you "inherited" this pool, I suspect the pressure gauge may just be bad. It can happen with any gauge, especially if it was out all winter. So you should consider a replacement like one of the gauges HERE. Very good quality and reasonable prices. Let's hope that resolves that one.
2. About the lack of water flow, let's remember that with an AGP, gravity is your pump's friend. By that I mean water should fall-down effortlessly from the waterline a few feet above the ground, down to the pump below. The only thing in the way appears to be that valve with a PORT 1 or FULL selection. Not sure about that one, but experiment I guess to see which works best to ensure water flow unimpeded to the pump.
3. Make sure the water is up at least halfway in the skimmer opening and that the weir door (flap) is moving well and not stuck. You should feel pretty good suction in that skimmer if you place your hand over the suction hole.
4. For the pump, remove the clear lid and check the O-ring underneath. Make sure it's not cracked or anything. If it's good, make sure it has a generous coating of pool silicone lube on it. That's very important to avoid a "suction air leak" (like drinking from a broken straw). If the pump has a drain plug at the bottom, remove it and check that O-ring as well. Before removing the clear lid or O-ring you'll need to stop water flow from the pool, so close that valve or stick something in the hole in the skimmer.
5. Check those hoses really well. They can crack or get a pinhole very easily and not really leak water out, but they can let air "in".

Let's start there and we'll move on to more troubleshooting later if you still can't get water to fill the pump strainer pot to the top of the clear lid.
Hello Texas, thanks for you response. The pump is brand new and so is the qauge. I don't think the seal on the pump was silicone so ill do that. ill try to erase one

AgainView attachment 151047

More pictures gentlemen. I am filling the pool up a bit more due to one of your more recent suggestions. It wasn't quite half way up the opening for the skimmer. Because the auto vacuum doesn't work, the new gauge doesn't register and the water does not come to the top of the pump it does seem like a pressure issue. I haven't put silicone on the seal to the pump yet, I will asap. Thank you for your patience. How do I check the hoses for leaks or maybe the NEW pump?
I was told the pool was in working order when I purchased the house and it obviously wasn't. I'm not a spring chicken by any means. I probably should have just taken the pool down but keep trusting the continuous stream of, "if you just fix this it will be in great shape...." I'm fairly certain I could have bought a new pool by now... Regardless, now I would like to enjoy it for at least a few years.
Pamela

Thanks so much for your response Bama. I will try to get you a picture of port three although im not certain where that is. thanks again. ill also set the port one to full.

Hello Texas, thanks for you response. The pump is brand new and so is the qauge. I don't think the seal on the pump was silicone so ill do that. ill try to erase one

ok, trying to send more pictures. I put more water in the pool. havent yet silicone the cover to the pump. Not certain if you saw my last post.

Attachments

• poolx2.jpg
    poolx2.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 9
  • poolxa.msg.jpg
    poolxa.msg.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 9
  • poolx6.jpg
    poolx6.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 9
You can check hoses and connections for leaks with some soapy water or running a garden hose over areas to see if it covers a leaky area. But those hoses look to be quite sturdy. But definitely make sure to apply pool silicone lube to that pump basket O-ring. That is extremely important to prevent air from getting sucked-in to the pump. See the link below for more guidance.

From your last couple posts, it also looks like you are still using two login profiles. Maybe you have a device that is set to remember login, but we'll have to address that soon as well so that we keep your posts under one name and profile. Is there one profile you prefer over the other? We can remove the other one.

Looks like port 3 on that valve goes to a wall suction. The good news is that if your skimmer is sicking air into it, you can set the valve to draw water totally from port 3, which is under the water a good ways and that will stop the air getting in the pump strainer basket, provided the lid isn't leaking on it.

oops, forgot the pictures
You can check hoses and connections for leaks with some soapy water or running a garden hose over areas to see if it covers a leaky area. But those hoses look to be quite sturdy. But definitely make sure to apply pool silicone lube to that pump basket O-ring. That is extremely important to prevent air from getting sucked-in to the pump. See the link below for more guidance.

From your last couple posts, it also looks like you are still using two login profiles. Maybe you have a device that is set to remember login, but we'll have to address that soon as well so that we keep your posts under one name and profile. Is there one profile you prefer over the other? We can remove the other one.

Thanks Texas. this one is the only one I want to be using. I think I tried signing in on my phone to send you pictures and I must have started a new profile. Does my other profile have the picture of my daughter when she was little, on her bike?
When you say silicone the o ring I am not really certain what you mean. The rubber ring that I put into the pump right underneath the cover?
Also, do you think I should set my skimmer to port 3. I thought that was the main drain in the middle of the pool?
Can't you fly to Buffalo...……. (-:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.