tmking86

Jul 21, 2020
Largo, FL
We have a new Hayward W3CC15093S XStream Above-Ground Pool Filter Pump System, 1.5 HP, rated at 15amps, single speed. It is pulling 14 amps continuously. Is this "normal"? Also, the motor is hot to the touch but has not shut off. We live in the Tampa Bay area and it is 90 degrees outside but the pump has plenty of space around it for air flow (albeit a convection oven type of air flow :)). Thanks for your input.

14 Amps does seem high, I have a similar pump Hayward superpump 1.5hp for an inground pool and with a filter pressure of 20 psi i an running about 8 amps.

What is is the flow out the return normal? What is your filter pressure? Any lines kinked or collapsed?

The filter pressure is a steady 10. No line obstructions.
We detached the larger hose (going from the pump to the T) and put it directly into the pool to see if the smaller hoses were causing the problem but it made no difference. Rechecking the amps (before and after that experiment) showed about 13.3 amps. The covers on both suction hoses and discharge hose have been temporarily removed to reduce any resistance there.
IMG-6435.jpg

Last edited:
Amp draw is dependent on voltage. So 14 amps is not high for 110v and 1.5 HP. That is about right.

14 Amps does seem high, I have a similar pump Hayward superpump 1.5hp for an inground pool and with a filter pressure of 20 psi i an running about 8 amps.
Is your pump motor 220v?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.