pump advice for future above ground

GregN

Jun 18, 2015
Central NJ
Hello everyone - so after 6 years with an intex 18´ round, we will be upgrading to a 24´ x 54¨ round next summer. I am liking what I read about the Sharkline Matrix, but haven´t finalized that decision. I plan on purchasing the pool, pump, and filter this year to hopefully take advantage of some end of season sales, etc.

The new 24' round will hold approx 15,000 gallons. From reading this site, it seems like a 2 speed pump should be fine. At present, I´m thinking a sand filter, but a DE filter is also peaking my interest.

Can you folks in the know recommend a 2 speed pump (HP?) and filter combination for both sand and DE?
For the first year, I plan on treating with bleach since that is what I am familiar with, however, I would like the pump/filter set up to be able to accomodate a SWG in the future. While I don´t need top of the line equipment, I would like to purchase a good quality system since I anticipate using this pool at this location for the at least the next 8 years.

The pump and filter will be located no further than 12 feet from pool and I plan on hard plumbing.

Also, it seems like all of these pools come standard with a wide mouth skimmer and just one return. Are there any common upgrades that I should consider doing before pool fills (i.e. extra return for improved circulation, dedicated vac port, etc.), or does the skimmer and 1 return get the job done.

Thanks,
Greg

2 speed pump all of the way. Not sure which one though sorry.

I have a 33' round pool and the one skimmer and one return works okay. I DO wish I had another return on the other side just to help push the stuff in the water to the skimmer but I don't really need it.

Greg, I've had a 24 ft AGP for just over two months now and my one single return and skimmer keep my pool clean every day. I did find that I needed to run it a total of 10 hours each day but I've got a single speed pump so I've been trying to see how little I can run it and keep the water clean. 6 hours was just not enough for mine. Oh, and I really love my Pentair Sand Dollar filter.

I hope you get some really good sales prices on your new setup!! Great idea to wait until August or September.

Thank you both for the replies. Glad to hear that 1 return is sufficient so I don't hv to worry about cutting into pool B4 first use. I guess if I hard pipe w 2" pvc I could experiment w different eyeball sizes to hv some flexibility.
Greg

I have a 18X33 that I am in the process of setting up. I also just bought a filter/pump to match to it as it is also right around 15,000 gallons and after a huge amount of researching and reading on here, I am getting a Hayward SP15932S 1.5 HP 2 speed pump to go with a Hayward EC50AC DE filter. My pool is not up yet so I can't show you pics saying how great or terrible the setup is, but I know I did plenty of research and in the 15,000 gallon range, these specific models came up very often..

The 1.5 HP on low uses less electricity than a 1 HP single speed so I'll be "saving" money there and still be able to kick it to high speed for vaccuuming or when needed..

Doogiegh - thanks much for sharing your research; very much appreciated. Just curious, do you know the pump rate of the 1.5 hp at the highest speed ?, and how that compares to max filtration rate? In my research, it seem like the max rate on a lot of two speeds exceeds the filtration rate on alot of the mid-size filters, thus requiring a larger filter (not that that is bad, just costs a bit more). I realize on low speed this is not an issue, but on high when vacuuming it might be

Just curious - what area of NJ are you in? I will be looking for a NJ AGP installer come next spring/summer.

Thanks again,
Greg

I believe the flow rate of the 1.5 hp Hayward Matrix is 93 GPM on High and half that or 46 GPM on low. With my Hayward EC50 filter, that's made for the flow rate of 50 so it's a great match. So I've heard and read, I'll see how it goes. It was funny cause some pool supply places sell a pump and filter complete as a "kit" and yet while the reviews are fine, the scientific community here on TFP said that alot of them aren't great matches, just profitable for the pool center which I thought very interesting. So I piece mealed mine together from a bunch of amazon places...

I'm in the middle of installing my pool now, myself so I can't recommend any installers for you - I'm in Flemington.

I have a 27' round ABG in Northern NJ

You can see what I have in my signature. I have a single speed , 1 HP pump on there.

Two speed would be nice, and maybe I would have ought it if it was in stock, but being in NJ, my pool is only open 3 months a year.

I used to run my filter 4 hours a day, and it was just fine. One return and a standard skimmer and no problems

Now that I added a SWG I run my set up about 6 hours a day, in two 3 hours blocks. Not for cleaning, but to generate enough CL

I love the DE filter. Once I an set up and running at the start of the season, I only have to bump it every so often. I don't have to backwash it at all.

I tear it down at the end of the season and check gaskets, lube seals, etc and then store it in the shed over winter.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.