Pumo having trouble starting up

dinman

Mar 31, 2011
I've been running my Hayward 1.5 HP pump very consistently this summer due to water chemistry problems. Over the past week or so, I've noticed that when starting it, there is a slight pause before it comes on fully. A humming like something in there is on but the pump isn't running.

This morning, I turned it on after it was off all night and it tripped the circuit breaker. Reset and retried a couple times and it finally came on and stayed on.

Ideas?

I've been running my Hayward 1.5 HP pump very consistently this summer due to water chemistry problems. Over the past week or so, I've noticed that when starting it, there is a slight pause before it comes on fully. A humming like something in there is on but the pump isn't running.

This morning, I turned it on after it was off all night and it tripped the circuit breaker. Reset and retried a couple times and it finally came on and stayed on.

Ideas?

Its very likely the capacitor that is preventing the pump starting. On first start up the capacitor builds up a charge before sending it to the start windings which commences the rotor to spin.

The fact it started after a few tries is strongly suggesting the capacitor is the fault.

Ordered a new capacitor, we'll see. It definitely sounds like the problem. For now, if I open the filter and let some air in, it makes it easier to start, but every morning it takes longer and longer to get going. Hopefully have the new capacitor by the weekend

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.