Puff of cloudyness when I turn on pump

Jun 12, 2018
New York
So when I turn on my pump in the morning, I get a puff of cloudiness that comes out of return. Does anyone know what that could be? I have a DE filter, is that DE coming out or is it dead algae? I've also been noticing some grayish deposits settling on the bottom of my pool. I can't tell if it's dead algae or DE.

Is there any chance that the grids are leaking? Someone posted about this recently whereby the stitching along a few of them has torn. The gray deposits you describe sound like dead algae. Typically when I get my water cleared up (after initial dose of algaecide while the pool still looks sort of swampy) there are areas similar to what you describe at various places on the bottom of the pool. I doubt the algae is what you're seeing when you refer to cloudiness, although larger doses of algaecide can certainly cause foaming - especially right near the return lines. When you say a "puff", are you suggesting that it is for a very short duration and then clears up fairly quickly? A picture would help 😉

The puff is just as soon as I turn on the pump, after it runs for a few minutes, the water coming out is clear. I'll run my pool robot with a fine filter on it and it'll vacuum up the gray stuff and I'll see it captured on the filter. I'm assuming it's dead algae if it gets caught in the robot filter right? I would think DE would just pass right through since it would be smaller than the filter. I'll try and get some pictures of it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.