Public Pool Test Results

Dtkokay

Dec 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Resurrecting an old thread:

I just tested my gym’s indoor pool water with my new TF-100 kit. I have to preface by saying this is my first time ever testing pool water, but I think I did everything correctly.

pH: 7.5 using the Taylor visual test. 7.43 using a digital pH meter.
Salt using test strips: around 3,100. Seems like a pretty clear indication this is a SWCG pool?
FC = 5.0
CC = 0
CYA = 0. I tried this a few times and could always see the black dot crystal clear in the vial. At first I was alarmed, assuming I did the test correctly and my reagent isn’t too old, but a post above suggests that indoor pools don’t necessarily need CYA?

The water in my gym is typically a little cloudy.

Anyone see a problem with the numbers above?

Last edited by a moderator:
Public pools are often forbidden to use CYA. They usually run the FC lower.

Can't assume that is a salt pool because *every* chemical added leaves residual salt behind and it builds up over time.

If the pool is cloudy they need to address it. Indoor pools sometimes use alternative systems in addition to chlorine, such as ozone or UV, since they don't get the sun's UV to help oxidize the choramines (cooties) away.

Maddie :flower:

Salt using test strips: around 3,100. Seems like a pretty clear indication this is a SWCG pool?
Not necessarily. Chlorine, acid, humans all leave salt behind, which builds up over time. My pool tested like that before I ever added salt for my SWG. And test strips are notoriously unreliable, so there's that, too.

Two quick things come to mind,
1. How many gallons is this?
2. When you said it’s cloudy, just how bad are we talking here??

Thanks for the feedback. I’m new to pool water quality and didn’t know much about it until we looked at getting a pool for the house (contract signed 2 weeks ago).

The gym pool is indoor and around 70K gallons (75 feet long by 30 feet wide, depth from 3.5 feet to 5 feet). The next time I see the gym pool guy, I’ll ask him whether the pool has a SWCG.

As for the amount of cloudiness, it’s hard to describe other than to say “slightly.” There have been times that I can’t see the other end of the 75 foot lane.

I would not swim in it. Must be very harsh to your skin and swim clothes.

Can you elaborate? I believe you, just trying to learn. My wife and I have been swimming at this pool for a few years, 3 times a week. My clothes have held up fine, but she ends up changing out swim suits every few months due to fading. We always thought that was just normal for a pool.

To add to my cloudiness comment above, at least half the people who use the pool are there for water aerobics rather than swimming laps, and are pretty heavy on lotion and perfume and don’t rinse off before getting in the pool. I don’t want to add any other detail because it’s sure to offend.

The next time I see the gym pool guy, I’ll ask him whether the pool has a SWCG.

Wait, are you in charge of maintaining the pool or are you just a member who walked in like a boss with their full TF-100 test kit and started testing away?

Reactions: Pv2
Got ya, so it's a larger pool (draining is out to clear up) and sounds like it's at least usable. Keep in mind however, this is only working off of what you told us. IF the bottom cannot be seen, the pool must be closed. I highly suspect state/local guidelines will dictate that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you elaborate?
Sure. Zero CYA make the FC of 5 very high. The cloudiness is an issue. That is typically due to high pH or algae. Could be algae as I suspect they use a continuous chlorine addition system.

Properly managed pool water chemistry following the FC/CYA Levels will not cause your swim clothes to fade and will be far more pleasant.

Do you feel like you need to take a shower after swimming in the pool? If so, that is not good.

Do you feel like you need to take a shower after swimming in the pool? If so, that is not good.

I do, but I always feel like that, even in pools with crystal clear water. I may have to start going to a different pool though.

Our upcoming pool to be built is designed for swimming laps, at 65‘ long, so gym pool water quality issue will soon be a thing of the past.

Our Saltwater pool is refreshing. If you build a pool, be sure you get a Saltwater Chlorine Generator.

Our Saltwater pool is refreshing. If you build a pool, be sure you get a Saltwater Chlorine Generator.

Yes, sir! That’s one of the biggest lessons I learned here. The builders I met with tried hard to convince us otherwise.

One of my friends switched to saltwater based on this web site and absolutely loves it.

And on a related note, my neighbor gave me a sample of his pool water because I wanted to make sure my test kit’s CYA was working. His CYA is at least 80, if not 90, and he uses chlorine tablets. He’s aware of the issue but he’s hoping to lower CYA through rain water.

Yes, sir! That’s one of the biggest lessons I learned here. The builders I met with tried hard to convince us otherwise.

One of my friends switched to saltwater based on this web site and absolutely loves it.

And on a related note, my neighbor gave me a sample of his pool water because I wanted to make sure my test kit’s CYA was working. His CYA is at least 80, if not 90, and he uses chlorine tablets. He’s aware of the issue but he’s hoping to lower CYA through rain water.

You can do him a big favor and share the chart: FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.