ProSeries Filter - Crack / leak / replacement

kolcun

Silver Supporter
Apr 12, 2015
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Hi all,

Noticed that there is a vertical crack, about 3", about midway up the side of my Hayward ProSeries Filter.
Normally, I run my pump on a low speed, and at that speed, the crack barely drips.
This weekend I was running on full speed, and the crack is slightly more expanded, and leaks a small amount - maybe a about 250ml of water in 5 mins.

The labels on the filter are totally unreadable at this point, and the original pool documentation left by the previous owner shows the pool was built in 1995, with a "hayward 20" filter". There is no other documentation in the pool file about a replacement filter, so I suppose it's possible this is the original filter.

I may attempt a epoxy putty repair to last the season.

In terms of a replacement - is it possible to purchase only the filter tank as a replacement part? is this worth it? (seems painful to deal with removing sand/laterals, etc)

Would it be recommended to up-size the filter when replacing?
Is it possible/advisable to re-use the existing sand?

Thanks all.

Adding a few pictures

On slow speed

fa8b909ab9c3fa38dec948833b6b11bd.jpg

On full speed
d24064c4a8002ca1582a907714b2266d.jpg

Do not run your pump and replace this filter housing ASAP! This is a pressure vessel. They are not repairable and must be replaced. Continuing to use this vessel can result in a catastrophic failure and harm to humans or property.

- - - Updated - - -

You do not show what size the filter is in your signature.

You can reuse the sand.

Do not run your pump and replace this filter housing ASAP! This is a pressure vessel. They are not repairable and must be replaced. Continuing to use this vessel can result in a catastrophic failure and harm to humans or property.

- - - Updated - - -

You do not show what size the filter is in your signature.

You can reuse the sand.

I have seen a tank launch. It was quite disturbing, if I wore working on it I’m sure my cheekbones would have been turned to dust.

Do not run your pump and replace this filter housing ASAP! This is a pressure vessel. They are not repairable and must be replaced. Continuing to use this vessel can result in a catastrophic failure and harm to humans or property..
Agreed.

Set the multi-port to recirculate if you can, this will bypass the filter housing, but keep the water circulating.

Bigger is always better when it comes to filters. Do you have the room? Do you want to spend the additional funds? Those are the questions you need to answer.

In that case, I'll probably upsize.
I can get the larger sizes for a little bit more than the direct replacement

One question - would I expect a larger filter to reduce my overall system pressure? (currently on highest speed I'm running at about 15 psi).
I have a slide, that's plumbed in after the fact, and If the pressure is too low, I do not get any flow on the slide.
Would appreciate any thoughts on that front.

As for the larger filters.
$90 extra takes me from the 20" -> 22" size.
then an extra $40 takes me from the 22" -> 24" size
A bit more sand as well, but that's not a large cost.

Space wise, I can fit either without an issue.
I'll probably opt for new sand, to avoid having to deal with taking it all out of the old filter.
Pool company will pick the old filter and sand up for $75.

I'll probably jump up to the 24", if the consensus is that pressure won't drop.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pressure should drop but the flow should increase.

Is the slide supply Teed off before or after the filter?

The slide should be Teed after the filter and you should have a valve on the return to reduce flow to the returns and force more flow to the slide.

What size line feeds the slide?

The slide install was done before we owned the place.

I’ve got only one line from the pump, running underground to the pool.

There are two returns, and the slide taps off the return lines.

So I have very little ability to control the flow. There is one valve for the slide, and one by the pad, for the single line running return to the pool

Here’s the picture. Even with the new filter I don’t think I have any good options, given that the return plumbing all
Happens underground.

Note, the capped line by the pump I believe used to run to a cleaner port, but hasn’t been in use for many years, the current liner covers where the port used to be in the pool.

Appreciate any thoughts.

498f927e1f28923b384ff432a28213e5.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.