Pro's of testing yourself?

Well...I'm thankful for my TF-100 because I was at Leslie's the other day buying MA. The guy in front of me spent $342 after getting his "free" water test. He has a SW generator but still walked out with special chlorine pucks for his skimmers, a bucket of trichlor "shock", pH up, phosphate remover, cya, yadda yadda yadda. It was painful to watch. I was super happy to walk out with $25 worth of acid. That and my bottles of bleach at home are all I need. I know this because I test it myself. No magic potions or chasing my chemical numbers.

Well...I'm thankful for my TF-100 because I was at Leslie's the other day buying MA. The guy in front of me spent $342 after getting his "free" water test. He has a SW generator but still walked out with special chlorine pucks for his skimmers, a bucket of trichlor "shock", pH up, phosphate remover, cya, yadda yadda yadda. It was painful to watch. I was super happy to walk out with $25 worth of acid. That and my bottles of bleach at home are all I need. I know this because I test it myself. No magic potions or chasing my chemical numbers.
Where's the Like button?

I tried the pool stores. I went to 3 or 4 not far from me with the same water (I even put it in a black garbage bag for transport to reduce the possibility of the sun burning off chlorine) and got very different results for each one. I tried a ColorQ - not worth it by a long shot. I finally broke down and bought the TF-100 and that was one of the most important choices I made for my pool.

The trick is two important things - knowledge and information. Not only do the pool stores typically give you bad information on the water, they will also give you bad advice on what to do about it. My first year with my pool (summer of 2012), the pool store had my buying this and that and my numbers were way off. Last year, I finally got everything sorted out and my water is crystal clear. My water was so clear at the end of last year that start up this year consisted of 2 bottles of bleach, some CYA, and 4 bags of salt. The total cost of all of that was less than $90 and I have some left over. And, I won't need to spend more than a few dollars the rest of the season. And my water is crystal clear again already 5 days after opening.

What I'm getting at is that with the knowledge and advice you will get here coupled with reliable test results, not only will you get the best looking water around (I have changed my friend's perception of "clean" pool water!), you will be able to do it faster and with a lot less expense now and later as well (a full refill for the TF-100 is only $40).

Good luck and welcome to the absolute very best resource any pool owner could ever have!

spend a little (test kit) to save a LOT (unneeded pool stuff).

Just think about how much you spend on the pucks to go in the floater or inline. No more! A good test kit, supply of chlorine/bleach, some muratic acid and you are set for the summer!

Kim

Testing my FC every evening has become one of my favorite parts of the day.

Nothing like taking control of your water / water chemistry and really knowing what is going on - it's a great feeling.

Besides - gives me a reason to head into the back yard and have a beer. The wife doesn't need to know that the water testing really only takes about 3 minutes.

I ordered my TF-100 yesterday and it will arrive via UPS on the 21st. Thanks for all your replies and insight on this matter. I do agree religious testing is needed and buying the best only gives the best results. Thanks again to all.

to save even more money, go to a hardware store for the acid, probably half the price of pool store muriatic acid...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.