properly opening/chlorinating AGP

keithk

Jul 11, 2010
Got an Intex 15'x48" pool. I used to have some links saved with info on opening, chlorinating the pool and such, but seems the link I saved are now gone. One of the links I lost and can not find is how to open a pool and took you through each step. This process I had mentioned using either dichlor or trichlor, 10 oz for 3 night straight to get the chlorine level and CYA level high enough. My question is, which one, dichlor or trichlor? I found both in granular and can't remember which one to use.

TIA.

TFP would probably advise neither. It is a little more straightforward to raise CYA and FC separately.

That said, you can certainly use either dichlor or Trichlor and use Poolmath to calculate the appropriate dosages.

that's kind of what I wondered since I couldn't find the link anymore. If one uses the dry stabilizer, what's the best way to put it in the pool, a sock in front of the return to slowly dissolve it? Reason I ask, years past I just sprinkled it in the pool and it never dissolved.

Keith, you can use either dichlor or trichlor to chlorinate and raise CYA at the same time. The downside is that both are acidic. If you plug your pool size in at the top of poolmath and then go way down to where it says Effects of Adding Chemicals. the amount of FC and CYA each ounce or pound or whatever will add to a pool your size will be displayed. The pH change is an estimate.

How to add each chemicals is in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.