Proper size filter.

Sdonaldson327

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
Knoxville
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the correct size filter.

I inherited a Hayward S244T sand filter when I bought this house. I have decided to replace it with a new sand filter due to some issues with the current one.

When I went to researching new sand filters I came across a litany of various info, some of which saying that this filter is actually too small for my 32,000 gal pool.

Can someone please let me know what would be the correct size. I don’t mind going to a bigger size if needed but I’d rather not spend the $350 difference between the 24in and 30in models if it’s not really needed.

Thanks again for all your help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I generally recommend the filter size based on the pool size and the climate / pool season. Given that ... my recommendation would be at least 31" diameter. You could get by with smaller with more frequent cleanings ... but I agree that 24" seems on the small side.

Not sure on the rpm, I’ll be installing the new pentair VS pump when I put in the new filter. I’m hoping to get a flow rate of 60 gpm. The 27in filter is rated for a max of 74 gpm so 60 gpm would allow me to change the pool every 9 hours.

27" should be fine. You really don't need to worry about "turnover". Just find an rpm that gives you good skimmer action and triggers the SWG flow switch.

You can probably run at 1200 rpm and get good results at very low power usage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.