Proper sealant for joint between stairs and liner channel

vfgilber

Jul 15, 2019
Ottawa
Good evening everyone.

We bought our house last year, and the terms of the sale required a new vinyl liner to be installed.

The vinyl liner looks awesome, but I feel like there was either a shortcut taken or the wrong product was used to seal all around the fiberglass stairs where they join the plastic channel that holds the liner.

it appears to be silicone, but it's only been a year and it's all detaching and floating away. I believe that disjoint actually leads directly to outside the pool and I want to get it sealed up ASAP.

I have been doing a bit of research on two-part epoxy is, both the putty style and the mixable A+B (gun and free-mix) as well as other caulks that can be applied below the waterline without draining the pool.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to choose. I am in Canada, so my options are also slightly limited. Can someone suggest a good product for this application? I did find a two-part thickened epoxy called West six10. It's available in Canada from Binnacle.

Thanks.

Vince

Attachments

• 20200619_155113.jpg
    20200619_155113.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 14
Theres nothing to seal. What you see is the cover plate. When that pops off its screws every 4 inches. That piece is a ribbed strip that locks into a twin piece that's glued onto stairs amd that's the seal back there. The 2 sandwich pieces are the liner seal. Silicone is not the product to seal behind the strip. Cant be done after the liner is in. I would confirm there is an actual leak first they may have just put a bead on for aesthetics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.