Proper PVC to Use at Pad

DBB

Jul 8, 2015
Frisco/TX
I'm having to re-do my pad after The Big Chill here in Texas, and am shopping for PVC. Almost all the schedule 40 I see has printing, barcodes, etc. which I don't want. The shiny, unmarked, UV resistant sch. 40 stuff that I've found is not NSF rated (I've read this this rating is important for applications that either are to be inspected, or to prevent standing water from picking up a plastic taste). I thought some of the furniture grade PVC was schedule 40, but it's apparently not, and not for use in plumbing.

Common Schedule 40 fittings shouldn't be an issue, as the ones I've looked at do not seem to have all the markings that the piping does. The ones originally used by the pool builder were Lasco sched 40.

Appreciate any info along with a source, as the local Lowe's / Home Depot only seems to carry the standard piping having all the markings.

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone.

Nice looking pad, Cowboy. I saw several folks that say to paint PVC to give an extra level of UV protection. I like the thoughts of having a dark color like you used, but was wondering about using a dark color with our hot, southwest sun. You've not noticed any ill effects, or warmer than normal pool temps there in Oklahoma?

Pool Medic, I was wondering about some kind of solvent, but was concerned that I might damage or degrade the PVC by doing that... This may be the route I take then, if I don't like the look of the finished plumb-out. Seems like the pool builders use a nice, shiny presentable PVC, and was curious as to what that might be.

James, thank you for the links - was looking for something like that. My search turned up a ton of PVC-related things, but nothing specific like you provided.

Now, if I can just get some of the replacement equipment I've ordered to come in - can't believe these nationwide shortages...

-DBB

It has not degraded and I doubt it adds any noticeable more heat. Just about any paint color will work including lighter shades..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.