Proper prep for changing pump seal

pennywise13

May 1, 2019
Flower Mound, TX
I have a leaking seal. Once the pump's apart, I'm familiar enough with the basic mechanical steps when performing a seal replacement. But, what I'm questioning is what's the best way to drain down the system prior to removing the motor/impeller? Open the filter air bleed and wait til I stop hearing water gurgle? Any benefit to changing valve position? The spa is elevated...should I drain the spa down prior to splitting the pump open? Any "right" time for opening the strainer lid (i might as well clean that out too).
My uncle helped me with some work last year, and I swear the piping continued to flood out for a good 5 minutes (think it was the hot tub draining). I'd rather avoid that this time.

Attachments

• Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 7
I have modified my valves to spin 360 degrees so I can shut off the flow completely.. you only want to do this if you know that someone will be able to block off the pump completely.. with that said you can spin them to block the suction side to the pump and the return side between spa and pool.. once that is done you open the pump and let the water out... my valve is between my filter and pump so only a gallon or 2 comes out... You can see both of them in the picture below...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.