Proper height of water a la Skimmer?

ashtonbritney

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Albemarle, NC
Stupid question,... but what is the proper height of water in the pool in regards to the skimmer? Should it be half way or just above the rim? It seems to skim better when it is closer to the bottom and waterfalling into the basket but I would rather take your advice.

Every skimmer is a little different, but most skimmers like the water to be between 1/2 and 3/4ths the way up the face. And there are a few that like to be almost all the way to the top. Set it to where it skims well, doesn't allow it to suck air into the pump, and allows for some level variation one way or the other.

Leaving it too close to the bottom, means that if for some reason your pool loses a little water the pump will suck air, and leaving it too full means that if you have a heavy rain it will overflow quickly. Other than that, set the level to where the skimmer is operating well.

a&b,

Do you have an operating Weir door? If so, then we suggest the middle of the skimmer mouth.

The higher the water the less skimming action you get, and the lower the water the better skimming action you get.

If you have an auto-fill system, then I would run on the lower end... We recommend the middle, because it is the best compromise between skimming and constantly worrying about the water dropping below the skimmer mouth.

If you are having a skimming issue, and don't have a weir door, then I would get one installed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, I have Weir door and it seems to work as it should. I will add some water and keep it about half way then. I dont have an auto fill system and dont really have any issues I have been cleaning a lot the last few days and backwashing and noticed it was skimming better the lower it got.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.