Proper Draining Technique

blb0663

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2019
Lafayette, LA
We filled our pool the first week of January this year. It took me a while to get the pH and TA to balance out. As soon as I had some success, the CH and CYA got out of hand. I used pucks to hold me over during a few business trips. I didn't think the CYA would get so high so quick. Now I'm having issues with algae. Water is clear, but I've noticed a few green spots in the corners. I'm assuming because the CYA is too high for the FC to work. The last time I tested the CYA it was 100, but I ran out of cyanuric acid to test a diluted sample. I'm waiting to receive a refill order.

Current Readings:
FC: 7
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
TA: 70
CH: 500
CYA: 100+
Temp: 83

At this point, I think I should start over, drain, and replace the water instead of SLAM and maintaining a high FC. I did a SLAM over the weekend, but I don't to waste more chemicals.

My question is how should I properly drain and refill the pool? Being in South Louisiana below sea level, I'm very afraid to pop the pool. My fill water is also a few degrees cooler than my pool water.

Should I:
Close the skimmer valves. Open the main drain valve. Put the filter on waste. Put the fill hose on the baja shelf. Slow the pump to match the new water flow. Stop once half the water is replaced. Test water.

Please let me know if that is the proper/logical method. Also not sure if it matters, but we are expecting a lot of rain this weekend. Yay for hurricane season!!!

Thanks in advance.

We don’t recommend using your expensive pool pump for a water exchange. Once you start the exchange you should continue until the end and that can mean overnight. We highly recommend a cheaper submersible pump be used instead for the draining. See:

Reactions: blb0663
Thanks for your note! I drained about 40% of our pool and the numbers look so much better! We decided to drain, then refill. Our water is expensive! I received the refill of the cyanuric acid regent and the magnetic stirrer today. However, now I'm out of the FAS-DPD Titrating reagent. I already had it on order, but it will be in next week. Until then, I will try my best to keep the FC levels steady then I'll do the proper SLAM.

Here are my numbers now:

FC: ??
CC: ??
pH: 7.8
TA: 125
CH: 350
CYA: 60
CSI: 0.4
Temp: 83

I've already added the Muriatic Acid to treat the pH/TA.

Thanks Again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.