Program not sticking on M600

Jul 6, 2017
MA
I just got an M600. It’s “regular” cleaning mode includes walls. So the first time I stopped the M600 switched to floors only and it did what I wanted. I had expected the next time I put the M600 in it would default to what I last set it. But it went back to “regular”.

I find it hard to believe you can’t set this, I could on my 16 year old blue diamond. It’s a complete waste to spend time, wear and tear on the pool liner and the robot doing walls every time.

Am I missing something?

BTW I tried asking through the app several days ago and got zero response. I get better support through apps for my lawn sprinkler controller or my home power monitor. Both $200 each.

I just got an M600. It’s “regular” cleaning mode includes walls. So the first time I stopped the M600 switched to floors only and it did what I wanted. I had expected the next time I put the M600 in it would default to what I last set it. But it went back to “regular”.

I find it hard to believe you can’t set this, I could on my 16 year old blue diamond. It’s a complete waste to spend time, wear and tear on the pool liner and the robot doing walls every time.

Am I missing something?

BTW I tried asking through the app several days ago and got zero response. I get better support through apps for my lawn sprinkler controller or my home power monitor. Both $200 each.

They are currently working on an update to improve the app including speed and communication with the robot.

I find you have to select the cleaning mode a few times before it takes. To see if it takes select another tab and then go back to the cycle tab. Chances are the initial selection did not make it's way to the robot. It may take a few tries before it actually is on the proper selection.

The default on the control unit is the 2 hr floor, wall and water line. You can program a 5 second hold of the control unit button to do a few things such as "pick me up" and I believe one of the settings is a timed clean. You can access this by being connected to the M600 in the app and go under settings and the robot.

I am told they are in the process of fixing all the issues in this video.

I sent them another one as well pertaining to the cleaning time setting.

They are also working on reducing the time it takes for the initial self diagnostic it does every time it starts cleaning. This will speed things up a lot.

It’s not an App issue. I don’t want to have me or my wife to have pull up an app every time I drop the m600 in the pool and have to disable walls. I want the m600 (controller) itself to remember the last mode it cleaned in.

When I do change mode in the app it’s worked first time every time. But It’s a PITA. Phone App shouldn’t be a requirement.

It’s not an App issue. I don’t want to have me or my wife to have pull up an app every time I drop the m600 in the pool and have to disable walls. I want the m600 (controller) itself to remember the last mode it cleaned in.

When I do change mode in the app it’s worked first time every time. But It’s a PITA. Phone App shouldn’t be a requirement.

The M600 is 95% app based. It is the first thing I said in my review of the M600 when it first came out. If you don't have or want to use an iPhone/ android or IPad the M600 is not for you.

You can look to see what options you like on the 5 second play button hold, you will need the app to set that up. Aside from the play button and the 5 second hold, everything else you will need the app for.

I would also like a few more buttons on the control unit but that is not going to change now.

Reactions: SwimmingBevo
The M600 is 95% app based. It is the first thing I said in my review of the M600 when it first came out. If you don't have or want to use an iPhone/ android or IPad the M600 is not for you.

You can look to see what options you like on the 5 second play button hold, you will need the app to set that up. Aside from the play button and the 5 second hold, everything else you will need the app for.

I would also like a few more buttons on the control unit but that is not going to change now.

My 16 year old robot came with a remote. But that didn’t mean I was required to use it. It was smart enough that I “program” the robot cleaning mode once and not need it until I wanted to change that. It could also uselessly steer the robot around. The whole phone thing is partly gimmick. I’m not gonna sit there and steer a robot around. It would be less work to push a standard vacc around. A phone can be used for setup or operation. Apparently it has no “setup” that sticks. And I have to set my preferences EVERY TIME I put the robot in, that is ridiculous.

That would be like having to adjust your seats and mirrors every time I get in the car. Or set my ring tone every time I take my phone off the charger. I’m not asking for buttons on controller.

I would have expected the controller had at least 3 bits of NVRAM to store the last cleaning mode. Especially on a $1400 unit that is 16 years newer.

Sorry I didn’t know it was a prerequisite that I read your review before purchasing and I’m sure you pointed out the controller has zero memory.

I disagree with your assessment that if I don’t want to bring my phone with me EVERY TIME I clean the pool it’s not for you. Some folks would be fine with the default cleaning mode. And there is practically zero reason to pull your phone if your happy with that mode. I don’t need to check progress, I don’t need to steer it, and pick me up is even useless. Just because it’s poorly implemented to just remember your last preference shouldn’t be a reason to require a phone. Maybe it can be resolved in the future.

It is also NOT 95% app based. Even though I’m unhappy that it does not remember cleaning mode. That is all I’ll be using the app for. And folks that are happy with the default have absolutely no reason to use the app. Unless the have time to waste and want to play. It’s mostly fluff. Just put the robot in and turn it on, cone back 2 hours later and pull it out. Like most robots. App should be primarily setup or diagnosis or special needs.

It will take me more time to mess with the phone each time than the time it saves with easier cleaning.

Last edited:
My 16 year old robot came with a remote. But that didn’t mean I was required to use it. It was smart enough that I “program” the robot cleaning mode once and not need it until I wanted to change that. It could also uselessly steer the robot around. The whole phone thing is partly gimmick. I’m not gonna sit there and steer a robot around. It would be less work to push a standard vacc around. A phone can be used for setup or operation. Apparently it has no “setup” that sticks. And I have to set my preferences EVERY TIME I put the robot in, that is ridiculous.

That would be like having to adjust your seats and mirrors every time I get in the car. Or set my ring tone every time I take my phone off the charger. I’m not asking for buttons on controller.

I would have expected the controller had at least 3 bits of NVRAM to store the last cleaning mode. Especially on a $1400 unit that is 16 years newer.

Sorry I didn’t know it was a prerequisite that I read your review before purchasing and I’m sure you pointed out the controller has zero memory.

I disagree with your assessment that if I don’t want to bring my phone with me EVERY TIME I clean the pool it’s not for you. Some folks would be fine with the default cleaning mode. And there is practically zero reason to pull your phone if your happy with that mode. I don’t need to check progress, I don’t need to steer it, and pick me up is even useless. Just because it’s poorly implemented to just remember your last preference shouldn’t be a reason to require a phone. Maybe it can be resolved in the future.

It is also NOT 95% app based. Even though I’m unhappy that it does not remember cleaning mode. That is all I’ll be using the app for. And folks that are happy with the default have absolutely no reason to use the app. Unless the have time to waste and want to play. It’s mostly fluff. Just put the robot in and turn it on, cone back 2 hours later and pull it out. Like most robots. App should be primarily setup or diagnosis or special needs.

It will take me more time to mess with the phone each time than the time it saves with easier cleaning.

Why so angry? Are you having a bad day or are you always this combative?

I am trying to help lol.

Have you taken the 2min to see if one of the options in the 5 second play button hold menu would work for you? It seems you would rather complain than try something simple to see if it would work for you.

I don't see a " last selection " memory on the control unit being implemented any time soon. It may not be possible, it would depend on what type of memory the control unit has.

All the features of the app is a big part of the price of the M600. The ability to be in another country and control the robot is part of the technology you are paying for.

If the M600 is not right for you return it and get something that is. You have other options.

Or contact Maytronics and see if they have plans for the changes you want in the near future.

******** about it on the Internet is not going to change anything.

Why so angry? Are you having a bad day or are you always this combative?

I am trying to help lol.

Have you taken the 2min to see if one of the options in the 5 second play button hold menu would work for you? It seems you would rather complain than try something simple to see if it would work for you.

I don't see a " last selection " memory on the control unit being implemented any time soon. It may not be possible, it would depend on what type of memory the control unit has.

All the features of the app is a big part of the price of the M600. The ability to be in another country and control the robot is part of the technology you are paying for.

If the M600 is not right for you return it and get something that is. You have other options.

Or contact Maytronics and see if they have plans for the changes you want in the near future.

******** about it on the Internet is not going to change anything.

1) I have tried 3 ways to reach out to Maytronics. I tried that before posting.

2) I tried the app support menu. It Failed.

3) I post here and the first response is they will make improvements to the app.

4) The next response is, I warned you in my review it requires an app. Like I should have known better.

5) I tried calling their number. EVERY menu path, service, warranty, support, dealer all end with you’ve reached an invalid extension.

6) Check the manual, completely useless.

7) Called the dealer Maytronics forces you to use. They haven’t a clue of how it operates. They tell me to call the same broken phone number. They should be contacting Maytronics to get my simple question answered. To learn and answer future customer questions.

So now I’m really concerned if I had a more serious problem, that I’d be totally screwed. So yeah now I’m angry at myself for not doing more research. I thought I’d just get the best and it would do more than I need. Apparently not.

There might even be a trick to do what I want but I can’t reach anyone knowledgeable to ask.

5 day return policy. I was well past that when I put it in the second time and learned I gotta go get my phone and set it up again.

Posting here does have value. Even if I get no answer.

Other folks will know your phone isn’t optional. If you don’t like the hard coded default program.

Right now I give it 3 stars. It cleans great. But convenient, no. Support, none.

I do appreciate you trying to respond, but you seem more angry than I that I don’t agree with your view of this cleaner.

I would never leave a robot in a pool after it’s done cleaning. And I recommend nobody else does either. Running it from another country or leaving it in your pool all season on a schedule is unwise. It won’t last if you do. It’s asking for trouble. If you have money to burn go for it. I’m sure the manufacturer would love you leaving it the pool.

Last edited:
It turns out the Quick start thing should do what I want. I Have not tested it yet. I’m in another country and didn’t leave it in my pool ;)

Since you can’t talk to anyone I figured it out myself.

I did politely ask here for help exactly if there was a way to do floors only without a phone. And the response I got was it requires a phone to operate. No it does not. I thought “quick start” was the quick start manual and didn’t browse that option.

I will never need the phone again once I set that. Assuming it works.

Thanks for the help.

If it works, I’ll raise it to 4 stars. One star off for poor support.

To help others in the future, you can program the power button on the controller to take a limited set of actions when you hold it in for 5 seconds.

You can set that in the App Settings like so.

No phone required after you set this up. If you do a normal power up it will do a regular clean. If you hold it for 5 seconds it will do floors only.

48382157946_cfecec3fd7_b_d.jpg

1) I have tried 3 ways to reach out to Maytronics. I tried that before posting.

2) I tried the app support menu. It Failed.

3) I post here and the first response is they will make improvements to the app.

4) The next response is, I warned you in my review it requires an app. Like I should have known better.

5) I tried calling their number. EVERY menu path, service, warranty, support, dealer all end with you’ve reached an invalid extension.

6) Check the manual, completely useless.

7) Called the dealer Maytronics forces you to use. They haven’t a clue of how it operates. They tell me to call the same broken phone number. They should be contacting Maytronics to get my simple question answered. To learn and answer future customer questions.

So now I’m really concerned if I had a more serious problem, that I’d be totally screwed. So yeah now I’m angry at myself for not doing more research. I thought I’d just get the best and it would do more than I need. Apparently not.

There might even be a trick to do what I want but I can’t reach anyone knowledgeable to ask.

5 day return policy. I was well past that when I put it in the second time and learned I gotta go get my phone and set it up again.

Posting here does have value. Even if I get no answer.

Other folks will know your phone isn’t optional. If you don’t like the hard coded default program.

Right now I give it 3 stars. It cleans great. But convenient, no. Support, none.

I do appreciate you trying to respond, but you seem more angry than I that I don’t agree with your view of this cleaner.

I would never leave a robot in a pool after it’s done cleaning. And I recommend nobody else does either. Running it from another country or leaving it in your pool all season on a schedule is unwise. It won’t last if you do. It’s asking for trouble. If you have money to burn go for it. I’m sure the manufacturer would love you leaving it the pool.

There is a card that came with your M600 that has a number for support. Try calling that number as it is supposed to be specific to the M600 as it is a "premium" service.

I have had a reply from the support in the app usually next day, if not 2 days later.

I mentioned my review as it is something I noticed right away and was not praising this decision. Adding a few more function buttons on the control unit would definitely be preferred. The first thing I thought of when i opened the box.

I never leave my cleaner in the pool either. It was an example of one of the app features we are paying for in the price of the unit. Though it was nice one Saturday morning I put the cleaner in, headed to a softball game where we were throwing a party after. Some people made it to my house before I did and I hit the pick me up button from the corner store so they could take it out. The app didn't work at that time but in theory it would have been a god idea. lol

Hayward made a non app related version of their AquaVac 650 called the 600. it had every feature of the 650 but just no app support. It is a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Maytronics may benefit from having an option, but they built no buttons on the control unit at all so it is not possible in it's current form.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did politely ask here for help exactly if there was a way to do floors only without a phone. And the response I got was it requires a phone to operate. No it does not. I thought “quick start” was the quick start manual and didn’t browse that option.

The response you got from me was this very thing! You failed to read it. Twice!

To help others in the future, you can program the power button on the controller to take a limited set of actions when you hold it in for 5 seconds.

You can set that in the App Settings like so.

No phone required after you set this up. If you do a normal power up it will do a regular clean. If you hold it for 5 seconds it will do floors only.

48382157946_cfecec3fd7_b_d.jpg

This is the setting I was talking about in my 2 replies above.

I set mine to use the "Pick Me Up" for now until the app gets updated.

I have found the 5 second hold to work very well.

Last edited:
Not trying to be the a-hole here, but there is a risk that comes with early adoption. And speaking strictly from my own perspective, a one-button, one-setting robot is the ideal robot. I use the basic setting on mine 100% of the time. If there are dirty spots remaining I run it again. After dealing with multiple settings and remote control functions I have come to realize they only add it complications and more stuff that can go wrong. The iO series appeals to the geek in me, and I'm going to reserve judgment until it's in wide distribution, but there's really not much innovation of any value left in pool robots. It's a binary issue, does it clean my pool or does it not?

I agree there is risk with early adoption.

I’m pretty sure the 5 second power button hold will do all I need. I knew it should be something fundamental that a high end robot should do. And it looks like it does. It would not have been the end of the world, just annoying.

I didn’t notice the special phone number. Box is stored in attic. Maybe a special button to call it in the phone app would make more sense.

I got no reply on the question in the app. Been like a week. Maybe they were mad because it’s so obvious.

I assume their phone system is just broken and will be fixed eventually.

Last edited:

I realize now you were on track but this post confused the heck out of me.

You start off with saying it's "95% app", and it's the App I'm trying to NOT need to use and you imply no phone, no cleaning for you.
You mentioned a "play" button, and never mention where that button is, so I assume you're telling me some short cut in the app, which was not what I was looking for.
Then you mention you'd like more buttons on the control unit that we ain't gonna get. Implying I'd need another button to get what I want.

It's not the "play" button, it's the power button.

If you said I can program the "hold" on the power button on the controller then I might have understood.

Once that option is set, it's gonna be 2% app.

Love mine. Just dropped it in pool today.

I’m also an iOS nerd...so I’m really happy it’s app based.

The cleaning itself is great. I’ve never had a robot so I can’t compare but very impressed so far.

I write iOS apps for a living. I’m fine I can use an app when I want to. But I’m glad I’m not forced to use an app every time I need to use use it. Nor does my wife have to.

My last robot lasted 16 years. Think how much technology has changed in the last 16 years. How many of the same apps are you running today that you ran 16 years ago? I don’t want an investment like this to be to dependent on a moving target. And technology is changing at an increasing pace. Will the App be supported on iOS 23?

$1400 is a small fortune, but not bad at all if you amortize it over greater than 10 years. I do expect this unit to last over 10 years. If I only got say 5-6 years I’d be really disappointed. So I expect it will (or can) fall off the technology buss before the robot mechanically dies.

My old robot had a dedicated remote that still works. I think I was running a Windows Mobile phone back in 2003 when I bought that robot, the robot was $1300 back then. So glad it didn’t depend on Windows Mobile. I don’t think I touched the remote in the last 10 years. You could drive it around and program cleaning mode. Not much different than what the phone does on the M600.

The most useful thing for the app, to me, is I get notified when it’s done or can check how long until it’s done. Hardly a big deal and I probably won’t bother 90% of the time.

I bought the M600 for the cleaning features. Not the app.

BTW I am concerned about how much smarts are in the control unit vs the robot. My old robot had all the “smarts” in the control unit. It was 4 wires down to the robot, common, pump, left track +/- and right track +/- . I think this is partly why it lasted (dead simple what was exposed to harsh conditions).

The M600 is 3 wire. That tells me it’s Power +/- and communications. So there is more delicate electronics running under water. Will it last as long? How much is the computer board that runs under water? I bet a lot.

Last edited:
I write iOS apps for a living. I’m fine I can use an app when I want to. But I’m glad I’m not forced to use an app every time I need to use use it. Nor does my wife have to.

My last robot lasted 16 years. Think how much technology has changed in the last 16 years. How many of the same apps are you running today that you ran 16 years ago? I don’t want an investment like this to be to dependent on a moving target. And technology is changing at an increasing pace. Will the App be supported on iOS 23?

$1400 is a small fortune, but not bad at all if you amortize it over greater than 10 years. I do expect this unit to last over 10 years. If I only got say 5-6 years I’d be really disappointed. So I expect it will (or can) fall off the technology buss before the robot mechanically dies.

My old robot had a dedicated remote that still works. I think I was running a Windows Mobile phone back in 2003 when I bought that robot, the robot was $1300 back then. So glad it didn’t depend on Windows Mobile. I don’t think I touched the remote in the last 10 years. You could drive it around and program cleaning mode. Not much different than what the phone does on the M600.

The most useful thing for the app, to me, is I get notified when it’s done or can check how long until it’s done. Hardly a big deal and I probably won’t bother 90% of the time.

BTW I am concerned about how much smarts are in the control unit vs the robot. My old robot had all the “smarts” in the control unit. It was 4 wires down to the robot, common, pump, left track +/- and right track +/- . I think this is partly why it lasted (dead simple what was exposed to harsh conditions).

The M600 is 3 wire. That tells me it’s Power +/- and communications. So there is more delicate electronics running under water. Will it last as long? How much is the computer board that runs under water? I bet a lot.

It cleans great. I’ve been early adopting my whole life...trust the force.

Any experience with Android apps or just ios?

I have the same concern as nothing these days seems to last as long as it used to. It is as if manufacturers expect the product to last 4- 5 years and then you buy a new one instead of fixing the old.

My 5 year old bosch dish washer broke this year, I called bosch and they said well you got 5 years out of it, you are lucky. Then proceeded to tell me it's not worth fixing it as the rest of the parts, motor etc. we're designed to last roughly 5 years.

So basically it's a new $1000.00 dishwasher every 5 years is to be the norm now days.

While my 15yr old 2 nob mechanical dishwasher in my rental is still running today.

If we get 7 years out of the M600 I think we can call ourselves lucky.

Reactions: mswlogo
Any experience with Android apps or just ios?

I have the same concern as nothing these days seems to last as long as it used to. It is as if manufacturers expect the product to last 4- 5 years and then you buy a new one instead of fixing the old.

My 5 year old bosch dish washer broke this year, I called bosch and they said well you got 5 years out of it, you are lucky. Then proceeded to tell me it's not worth fixing it as the rest of the parts, motor etc. we're designed to last roughly 5 years.

So basically it's a new $1000.00 dishwasher every 5 years is to be the norm now days.

While my 15yr old 2 nob mechanical dishwasher in my rental is still running today.

If we get 7 years out of the M600 I think we can call ourselves lucky.

Totally agree. The whole “smart appliance” longevity thing is a problem. Sometimes you’re better off with the “dumb appliances”, even if they only last as long, at least you didn’t spend so much $$$. I’d be ok with 7 years but got really spoiled with 16 years on my first one.

Reactions: DjEclipse
I have a naccules cc plus for now and that thing is a beast then it in and let it do it’s thing until they finally get all the guys out of this unit it’s the best vac for the buck. And I’m a heaven tech guy but don’t need the drama

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.