Problems with Plaster from the start

Mar 29, 2017
Texas
First time to post to a forum but I'm desperate...
Our pool was finished about 5 weeks ago...from the first week after the finish, we noticed a large discolored area in the deep end of the pool. After researching online, we found that this is called gray mottling or discoloration. Our builder claimed it was normal and this is how all pools look and that we needed to continue brushing.....BTW, our plaster is Quartz Scapes, Quartz Brite. We ended up hiring someone to help with the brushing so that the pool was brushed several times a day. After 2 weeks of this, the pool was still collecting a massive amount of "plaster dust" and the discoloration was not going away.
Our pool builder finally agreed to take another look and settled on a fix....drain the pool and acid wash the whole thing.
We thought this fixed it...but the day the pool was filled up again, we noticed another problem...a white film was attaching itself to the entire pool..not only had the discoloration in the deep end come back, but now a sandy white substance had started to form..it has continued to spread and cover everything. We have brushed, scrubbed...it's not coming up.
We are taking our water in twice a week to Leslie's where they test the water for balance. We started this the day after the acid wash. Our calcium levels are holding at 220 - 230. PH is low...
I have been talking with the NPT rep in hopes that they can give sound advice on how to move forward. I am terrified that once we bring our builder back into this, the blame for this mess is going to be placed on us, the owners. After researching online, it sounds like the symptoms we are experiencing can be caused by in-proper application of the plaster to begin with. Any advice from pool builders or restoration companies would be greatly appreciated...

Welcome to TFP!

Sorry to hear this has happened, and I hope you find a satisfactory resolution.

I think it it's application issues, and would take the Advice of the OnBalance above. He is an Expert among Experts in this field.

Questions: Is this a dark color QuartzScapes finish, or a darkening of a white or light color quartz plaster? Was the original discoloration a whitening of the dark quartz plaster, or a darkening of a white plaster finish?
Also, ask NPT if this quartz plaster finish contains any color pigment? If you provide that information, I may be able to help with some suggestions for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.