Problem with Opening Pool

Kmac3007 said:
Thanks everyone for your help in gettings things settled with my pool. Now i'm in the process of dialing in my CYA and down my TA to get things right.

Just one thing i don't quite understand - if I have to schock the pool this summer for any reason would I have to bring it to such high levels that are represented in the CYA / Chlorine Chart? Also when i shock to such high levels will it close the pool until the levels come down? Since I keep the SWG on by mistake when I shocked I don;t have any idea how long it took for my FC level to hit shock level and then drop to 3-5 FC range.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

You should hit shock level as soon as you add enough bleach. If your shock level is 20 ppm, you do the math based on the volume of your pool, add that much bleach and then wait. You monitor the CL level and if it starts to drop (because it is being used to combat organics in the water) then you add more to keep it at or above shock levels. Once you stop loosing CL to organics (i.e pass the OCLT) then you stop adding CL and let the levels come down to normal.

So you can gauge, I loose about 1.0 ppm of CL per day under normal conditions. - 2-3 clean kids (older kids - no "accidents") using the pool for a few hours and getting about 11 hours of full sun per day.I am in NJ too, so same temps as you. That is at my normal CL range of 6.0 or so and a CYA of 40. The more CL you have, the faster it is going ot drop. So maybe at the onset you are looking at a drop of 4 to 5 ppm per day, and then tapering off from there.

So if you have not over shot your shock levels by a insane amount, once you pass OCLT you can expect your CL levels to drop below shock levels in 24 to 48 hours. We were swimming a few days ago with CL at 18.0 - I find it does dry my hair out (after swimming it air dried and someone stopped by and asked me if I was out back working on the time machine in my Delorian) but nothing some conditioner didn't solve.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.