Previous home owner did not disclose Main Drain issue.

cfmpool

May 1, 2020
Omaha, NE
Good morning,

I just found this forum today after doing some research. I am a new home owner with my first swimming pool. I was a bit weary of going down the road of owning a pool but I am young with roommates and we can have a lot of fun with it. In the 'Seller Property Condition Disclosure Statement' the seller marked the swimming pool as 'Working' and did not disclose any more issues about the pool. I got a pool inspection before purchasing and it did not come back with any issues, HOWEVER, this was in early January in the Midwest and there wasn't any way for the inspection company to know about/find the main drain issue.

The previous home owner left me the number of their pool guy and I called him out to open my new pool. He was shocked to learn that I was not aware of the main drain issue and was upset that it was not disclosed to me by the previous home owner. He is calling it a $10k+ issue. He told me that the seller was well aware of the issue and he insisted that the seller tell the potential buyer about the issue. Clearly that did not happen.

The pool was built in the late 60's and is concrete. Poly piping is used for the single main drain, single skimmer back to the pump, and for the return line to the single return in the pool. Its about a 15k gallon pool with a deep end that gets to about 8' deep. The pool guy replaced the filters and pumps last year and they are in good working order. He plugged the main drain last season and capped off the main drain line next to the pump. The pool is currently functional with just the skimmer, but when we opened up the pool an above-ground crack had formed in the return line on the poly piping. The pool guy was able to seal it with this hard forming epoxy but I think its just a matter of time for that crack to continue forming down the return line underground and cause more issues.

The bottom line is I was on the fence about the pool and if I had known about a $10k+ issue I would not have purchased the house. Now I will have to let future buyers know about the issue when I go to sell the house and it will degrade the value of the home. I want to get compensation for this. I figured I would get the opinion from some pool experts.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.