Preventing wash outs after pool is up

Bordignons

Jun 29, 2020
Iowa
We are helping our neighbors set up a used Intex type soft sided pool 16" x 4". Unfortunately there was no manual and the instructions we found online we have since discovered were wrong. The directions we used advised using a sand base but now that the pool is up and full of water we have found out that a sand base is NOT advised because it can be washed.out with heavy rain. Thankfully we were doing a poor job following those directions and probably only have an inch of sand down instead of 2-3 inches. All of the foot holds have a wood base under them and I think those are on solid ground because we had read somewhere that that was needed. Unfortunately the "solid ground" in our yard is actually compacted sand not real dirt. So I fear that is a problem too. Now we are hoping to find some sort of fix before it rains. I've read two things about using landscaping edging to try to prevent wash outs. One said to use it on the high side of the ground to divert water away from the pool. The other said to put it all around the pool with small holes that allow for slow drainage. Has anyone here tried either of those methods or have any other suggestions?! The neighbors will not be taking it down at this point so I'm just trying to help save it. I'll try to add a photo to this post as well. Thanks!

I would use something like bricks on their tall side or such to make a "wall" to help divert the water from the pool. Have them close to the wall but not touching it. Oh you could use those landscape blocks and have it a couple high. I would do the whole pool with space on the lower side to allow any water out.

I have a similar situation. My soil is mostly sand with clay a foot or so down. I have a 22'x52" Coleman. I had to cut 16" into grade to get the site for the pool level. I then put down 2" of fresh sand to level it out and get a smooth bottom. Each support post is resting on a 12x12 paver block leveled. I plan to put a retaining wall around the high side to hold the lawn back. Haven't gotten around to it yet, has been a couple months with some heavy rains. I had a couple of minor washouts, but nothing major a couple shovels of sand couldn't fix. The best fix I have found is to give a preferred path for the water. Less water running around the pool is less possibility of wash out. Long term, a retaining wall on the high side w/ drain pipe behind it (below grade) should solve the problem.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.