Pretty sure it's iron/manganese ?

33feet

Bronze Supporter
Apr 28, 2020
Peoria IL USA
I know there is iron and manganese in the pool water. (Although I don't have my well water numbers, I do have values from a well 1000 yards from us, from 1993 if anyone really wants to know) Mostly filled this year with rain. (yeah!)
When pool was opened 5/15 it was a solid medium green with leaves in bottom. Algae it appeared to be.
FC: 0
CC: 0
PH: >8
TA: 75
CH: 200
CYA: 60
SALT: 1400 (measured because I added SWCG this year. Not running yet)

So SLAM it was. Lowered pH and added liquid chlorine. Vacuumed, brushed, cleaned filter. Color went from medium green (opaque) to milky green with a translucent top 3 inches of top water. (Green is my iron/manganese color in past years but not milky) I am not worried about staining, as just wanting to clear the water.
(in between these readings is rain)

Current
FC: 12 (last night overnight was steady) with CYA of 40 (lower due to rain), I had been up to 24 FC
CC: .5
pH: 7.2
TA: 150
CYA 40 (I know for the SWCG this needs to go up, but I didn't want to raise in case I need to SLAM again)
Salt: 3500 (average of RJ+ and Taylor kit)

Suggested steps? Thanks

Thanks. As the SWCG is new this year I have an additional question.

Use SWCG SLAM level of 24? (I ask because I haven't raised my CYA to the SWCG level yet. I would think to go by CYA level but want to make sure)
Which may answer this one...Leave CYA lower until SLAM done?

Your pool water is treated as a non-SWCG pool during SLAM. It is the use of the SWCG that makes the difference, not the salt in the water.

Thanks. As the SWCG is new this year I have an additional question.

Use SWCG SLAM level of 24? (I ask because I haven't raised my CYA to the SWCG level yet. I would think to go by CYA level but want to make sure)
Which may answer this one...Leave CYA lower until SLAM done?
Leave CYA lower. You'll be using bleach so use the bleach chart. Raise CYA after.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.