Pressure-side Pool Plumbing

RGSLAW

Jun 3, 2017
STONY POINT, NY
Hello Guys,

I'm embarrassed to say that after owning my own pool for the past 7 years, I am still unfamiliar with all of the pool plumbing. Thanks to this site, I have mastered the BBB method (or at least I think). Anyway, I was trying to figure out why my spillover spa was not blowing bubbles and decided that maybe I needed to replace the jets. (It has not blown bubbles for a very long time.) I came across some articles about an "air blower" being a possible cause. I can't seem to locate an air blower on my pool equipment, at least not based on the pics I've seen.

Please take a look at the picture below and let me know if that little black pump between the salt water cell and the filter housing could be some kind of an air blower for my spa. If not, what is it, what purpose does it serve, and is it difficult to replace? It is on the pressure side and it is connected to both a single pipe in the ground and to the pool returns. It is extremely old and any identifying information that was on it has completely faded.

Thank you in advance for your help.

(by the way, sorry for the aerial shot taken from at the top of my deck and for the crazy foliage from my trees).

Good morning!

Wireform - please see additional photos you requested.

Mas985 - Thank you. I always thought that the pool pump (the one closest to the house in the initial picture) was for the cleaner. It was not hooked up when we bought the house 7 years ago, so we never bothered using it (we purchased a robot to do the cleaning). If the pump is for a pressure side cleaner, why would two pumps be needed for the cleaner? Is it typical to have one on the suction side and one on the pressure side? Also, do you have any idea why one of the pipes from that pump goes into the pool return lines?

Last question, for anyone who might know-- I'm still trying to locate the "air blower" for my spillover spa. Based on my equipment set up, any idea where it could possibly be?

Thank you.

Rose

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 5
Pressure side cleaners require really high pressure which the main pump cannot usually provide at the same time as running the other returns.

The booster pump is plumbed into the return line because that is where it gets the water to pump to the cleaner. That water is already pressurized some but the booster, boosts the pressure even higher to run the cleaner. The main reason for this is because a booster is not self-priming so it needs pressure at the inlet to the pump.

Both suction side and pressure side cleaners are getting to the point where they are becoming obsolete due to the efficiency and superior cleaning ability of robot style cleaners.

Based upon the pictures, I don't see blower. Not all spas require a blower. Mine does not have one but has an air pipe about 10' away from the spa. Some spas have air valve right at the spa so don't require an air pipe.

Thank you so much, Mas985, for the information on pool plumbing/pool cleaners. Can the booster pump just remain where it is, although it is old and probably not functioning, since it is not being used to clean the pool? Also, I do not have an air pipe, so there must be an air valve at the spa. How can I verify that to see if it needs to be replaced?

Thank you.
-Rose

Are there plastic knobs at the spa in the deck coping? Can you post a picture of the spa?

Yes you can leave the booster installed but at some point it might start to leak so you will want to plan on removing it when it is convenient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.