Pressure Relief Valve and Controlling the Booster Pump RPM

Jun 5, 2017
Sacramento, Ca
I've got a Pentair Easy Touch system, and i'm wondering if its safe to control the RPM of the booster pump for the pool sweeper. The booster pump is Pentair Boost-Rite LA-MS05. It looks like i can adjust the pumps rpm through the ScreenLogic windows program, but i'm not sure if its safe to do that.

The reason i'm asking, i had a local pool shop (leslies) give a tune up on my pool sweep (Pentair Legend 2 i believe) and they replaced quite a few broken parts on the sweeper itself and the pressure relief valve thats at the end of the hose and connects into the wall. I noticed that when the booster pump runs for the sweeper, it pushes water out of the black part and pushes water straight up.
1645131201494.png

I called leslies and asked them if its normal because it didn't do that before (but then again the pool sweep wasn't working well before also), they said its pretty normal but if i want i can come in and they will replace it within 90days. He said if it were him, he would just see how the sweep works and if its working fine just leave it.

I'm wondering if its possible to lower the rpm so not so much water is being pushed out. I'm just worried that if its limiting voltage to the pump that it might burn it up. I cant seem to find online if the boost-rite is variable or not.
Here's my settings
1645131421663.png

Your ET cannot control the speed of the booster pump. Those speeds are what your main pump will run at.

Change the restrictor disk to the blue or red smaller hole to reduce the flow to your cleaner do that the PRV does not blow water.

Your ET cannot control the speed of the booster pump. Those speeds are what your main pump will run at.

Change the restrictor disk to the blue or red smaller hole to reduce the flow to your cleaner do that the PRV does not blow water.
I forgot to mention, there is no restrictor plate installed now. I'm not sure if it stuck to the old one when i brought it in, but i couldn't feel anything in the cup on the wall.

I did get a bag that had the red and blue plates with it. I'll throw the larger one in and see how it works.

On a side note, the sweeper gets stuck on the two flat intakes at the bottom of the deep end. Seems like it gets highcentered on them. Hit or miss if the pull-back valve can move it. Any trick to getting it to stop that?

If you search around you will find some drain covers that claim cleaners do not get stuck on them. You would need to dive down to change the drain cover.

If you search around you will find some drain covers that claim cleaners do not get stuck on them. You would need to dive down to change the drain cover.
Are they a pain to swap?

I was thinking the sweeper inlet may be making too good of a connection with the top of the inlet and pulling it down, i wonder if i could modify the bottom of the sweeper to make sure it doesn't.

The water power of the cleaner has very little torque. The slightest obstruction will stall it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.