Pressure/Plumbing issues

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
The last year I was having less than expected pressure out the jets but everything seemed to work.

I am opening my pool now and I’m having issues with the skimmer or bottom drain.

IMG_2896.jpeg
I have this valve. I assume it is jets on one side and bottom drain on another, I am not sure where the skimmer falls into it, it seems it is linked with the drain. I got this pool when I bought the house. I have opened and closed it successfully for a few years.

Right now I can only fill the pump when it is in this position. This causes the jets to go but I see now suction in the skimmer. If I move it to open position (between the two) I lose power and the pump drains out. If I have it in this position and even crack it a little bit to the middle it loses pressure just as if I opened it all the way.

I think it is time to replace the grids but I can’t imagine it would cause this. The grids didn’t look bad when I cleaned them last year but they are somewhere between 5-10 years old.

I know when I close the pool and use the cyclone blower I move the level opposite to this position and that closes the main drain. In this position the jets work.

This is your suction valve. It controls suction from multiple sources. It sounds to me like the other suction source is plugged. With a blocked suction source selected, you will have no return water through the jets.

Do you have an accessory port on the side of your pool wall for a vacuum? Normally these have a cover that closes when not you so it would be plugged. It's also possible that this is a valve that controls suction between your skimmer on one side, and main drain on the other. If that's the case, the drain might be plugged or blocked.

This is your suction valve. It controls suction from multiple sources. It sounds to me like the other suction source is plugged. With a blocked suction source selected, you will have no return water through the jets.

Do you have an accessory port on the side of your pool wall for a vacuum? Normally these have a cover that closes when not you so it would be plugged. It's also possible that this is a valve that controls suction between your skimmer on one side, and main drain on the other. If that's the case, the drain might be plugged or blocked.
> Do you have an accessory port
Yes, but it was closed off before we got the pool, and is not used. I can see the hole for it in the pool, and the liner covers it. How do I clear the drain if it is blocked? Last year I used the cyclone when I closed it and I saw the water shooting up before I moved this lever to seal the main drain. Should I try the cyclone to blow the main drain line?

Has that valve ever worked in both positions? It's possible that your main drain is tied into your skimmer. Can you take a photo of your skimmer with the basket removed? Do you know what the other pipe is next to the the valve that is capped?

Has that valve ever worked in both positions? It's possible that your main drain is tied into your skimmer. Can you take a photo of your skimmer with the basket removed? Do you know what the other pipe is next to the the valve that is capped?
I believe this is the old cleaning system they removed. In the pool, I can see a circle like a jet, but the liner is covering it and a cap screwed in it to keep it sealed. I can take a picture in a bit when I go out, but it is just a plastic floor with a screwed hole going downward and you can see some piping.

Sir,

Your pump has two inputs.. They have to be one of the following configurations...

1. Skimmer 1 and Skimmer 2.. If you only have one skimmer, you can eliminate this one.
2. Skimmer and Main Drain... Go look under your skimmer basket and see how many holes there are.. If two open holes, then your main drain is connected to the skimmer.
3. Skimmer and Vacuum line. You either have a Vac port in the side wall of your pool or you don't.. Do you currently have a port with a little door on the wall of your pool??

It appears that at one time your pool had a booster pump and a pressure side cleaner. This has been abandoned, and I "assume" what is now covered by the liner.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Sir,

Your pump has two inputs.. They have to be one of the following configurations...

1. Skimmer 1 and Skimmer 2.. If you only have one skimmer, you can eliminate this one.
2. Skimmer and Main Drain... Go look under your skimmer basket and see how many holes there are.. If two open holes, then your main drain is connected to the skimmer.
3. Skimmer and Vacuum line. You either have a Vac port in the side wall of your pool or you don't.. Do you currently have a port with a little door on the wall of your pool??

It appears that at one time your pool had a booster pump and a pressure side cleaner. This has been abandoned, and I "assume" what is now covered by the liner.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I can’t really take a picture because the de sitting there has made it cloudy. But there are two holes on the bottom. Just put my hand in there to confirm and loosen up the de which went down but I’m still unable to set it to drain/skimmer without it running out.

Last edited:
I can’t really take a picture because the de sitting there has made it cloudy. But there are two holes on the bottom. Just put my hand in there to confirm and loosen up the de which went down but I’m still unable to set it to drain/skimmer without it running out.
Sir,

Kind of a whole new subject...

Did you find two open holes??? The hole farthest from the pool water should have suction from your pump. The hole closest to the water could be plugged at the top of the skimmer or under the skimmer.. Stick something in there to see if the pipe is open or not.. Do Not Drop it in the pipe. :mrgreen:

If both pipes are open, then most likely your main drain is connected to your skimmer.

I re-read you initial post and now understand that your pump runs with the valve in the position shown in your pic. But when you try to run with the valve set so that both pipes are open, the pump quickly runs out of water.. This can only mean that the pipe on the right has a massive air leak.. If the pipe on the right were simply plugged, the pump would continue to run just fine, as it would just suck all the water from the pipe on the left.

One of the down sides to having flex pipe is they tend to kink and break open over time. :(

That said, there is no real reason you can't just leave the valve as is, and run just on your skimmer.

DE wise... How are you adding DE to your filter?

What is your Filter's pressure when the pump is running??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sir,

Kind of a whole new subject...

Did you find two open holes??? The hole farthest from the pool water should have suction from your pump. The hole closest to the water could be plugged at the top of the skimmer or under the skimmer.. Stick something in there to see if the pipe is open or not.. Do Not Drop it in the pipe. :mrgreen:

If both pipes are open, then most likely your main drain is connected to your skimmer.

I re-read you initial post and now understand that your pump runs with the valve in the position shown in your pic. But when you try to run with the valve set so that both pipes are open, the pump quickly runs out of water.. This can only mean that the pipe on the right has a massive air leak.. If the pipe on the right were simply plugged, the pump would continue to run just fine, as it would just suck all the water from the pipe on the left.

One of the down sides to having flex pipe is they tend to kink and break open over time. :(

That said, there is no real reason you can't just leave the valve as is, and run just on your skimmer.

DE wise... How are you adding DE to your filter?

What is your Filter's pressure when the pump is running??

Thanks,

Jim R.
I was thinking an air leak somewhere, how would I find it? it's an inground pool surrounded by cement, that mean I got to dig up the cement to solve this?

If I leave the valve how it is now, the skimmer doesn't function, and the surface doesn't get cleaned.

I drop de in the skimmer but now that the skimmer isn't working, it was sitting there.

Pressure is showing 0, but I think the gauge might be broken, since i forgot it out this winter. I was going to order a new one.

Sir,

One of us is very confused... most likely me... :mrgreen:

I must have read your post incorrectly..

Tell me what happens when you rotate the valve in your pic 180 degrees???

Does the skimmer work? What does not work with the valve in that position?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sir,

One of us is very confused... most likely me... :mrgreen:

I must have read your post incorrectly..

Tell me what happens when you rotate the valve in your pic 180 degrees???

Does the skimmer work? What does not work with the valve in that position?

Thanks,

Jim R.
The way it is positioned now, the jets go, and the pump is full and working. The skimmer is stagnant. I rotate it 180 degrees, the pump slows down and very quick runs down to the minimum water level (in the pump tank)
My gut also thought an air leak somewhere, as it can't hold pressure when I switch the valve, but the skimmer is holding water and is not draining, so I don't understand.

Sir,

Ok, that can only mean that the pipe on the right is for your skimmer..

And, when you put the valve in the middle position, the pump quickly runs out of water.. If that is true, then your skimmer line has to have an air leak..

Please check to make sure the hole farthest from the water is not plugged... It is possible that if the line is plugged (with DE??) then a small air leak in the line could turn in to a big air leak, when subjected to the suction from the pump.

One thing you could try is to use a Drain King (of the right size) and force water from your 3-way valve backwards toward your skimmer and see if you can get water coming back out of your skimmer.

Also.. When I look at the flex pipe on the right (Skimmer) what are all the band clamps for? There is one in the middle of a flex pipes I don't understand?

Does your flex pipe go all the way to the pool or is it just at your equipment pad??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sir,

Ok, that can only mean that the pipe on the right is for your skimmer..

And, when you put the valve in the middle position, the pump quickly runs out of water.. If that is true, then your skimmer line has to have an air leak..

Please check to make sure the hole farthest from the water is not plugged... It is possible that if the line is plugged (with DE??) then a small air leak in the line could turn in to a big air leak, when subjected to the suction from the pump.

One thing you could try is to use a Drain King (of the right size) and force water from your 3-way valve backwards toward your skimmer and see if you can get water coming back out of your skimmer.

Also.. When I look at the flex pipe on the right (Skimmer) what are all the band clamps for? There is one in the middle of a flex pipes I don't understand?

Does your flex pipe go all the way to the pool or is it just at your equipment pad??

Thanks,

Jim R.
I am not sure what the clamps are for, they don't seem to be holding anything, I noticed them as well and wondered.
I don't have a drain king, would running the cyclone to blow out the lines be a bad idea for that side?
I am not sure how far the flex pad goes, it goes into the ground. I don't know anything about the pool that isn't exposed above ground.

Sir,

I know nothing about closing pools and cyclones, but if I were in your shoes, I'd try the cyclone on the skimmer line and see what happens.

I'd also look at the middle band clamp and see if it is hiding a patch of some kind.. I'd move it up or down and see what it is covering..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sir,

I know nothing about closing pools and cyclones, but if I were in your shoes, I'd try the cyclone on the skimmer line and see what happens.

I'd also look at the middle band clamp and see if it is hiding a patch of some kind.. I'd move it up or down and see what it is covering..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I'll give that a try, I did feel around the clamps and I didn't notice anything there, but I will look closer.
A cyclone is just a professional blower that blows out the lines a lot better than a shop vac.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Sir,

I assume that if you run the cyclone on the skimmer line, you should see a ton of bubbles rushing out of the skimmer...

If not, the line is plugged, or clogged with something..

Tell me how you normally add your DE to the filter...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I connected my cyclone and blew out the lines (specifically the drain/skimmer side) as if I was closing it. After connecting things back I was able to use mid position (both open) without losing pressure and it seems things are back to normal.

I don’t get this as I blow out the lines before closing. The pool is closed with no debris before the cover is put on.

One line I know is the jets.
Sir,

I am glad it is working, but confused.. :scratch:

The "jets" are on the return side of the plumbing, so that makes no sense to me at all..???

What are the "jets".. Are we talking about the pool returns that have "eyeballs" to point the water flow, or something else?

That valve only selects where the water is coming "From"... You only have three choices:

1. Skimmer #1 and Skimmer #2.. (Assumes you have two skimmers)
2. Skimmer and Main Drain
3. Skimmer and Vacuum Line (Assume the main drain is connected to the bottom of your skimmer)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support