Pressure Not Reducing After Backflush

Jbro

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2018
Concord, NH
Hi All --

It's been a cold spring in NH and I just opened the pool today. Everything looks good but I left my filter pressure gauge outside over the winter and it was leaking upon start-up. I replaced with a new one and all is good there i.e. no more leaking. I didn't check the pressure readout after installing the new gauge and starting up the pump. Wish I had done that.

Last year I would backflush at 20 PSI and my filter would return to 12 PSI after the backflush. I just noticed this filter was running at 20 PSI after shocking and running it for a few hours. I just backwashed for a solid 5 minutes but it only dropped the pressure to 18 PSI. I've confirmed there is nothing I can see that is wrong. (baskets clear, valves open, etc.)

Is it possible I got a bad gauge or is some other problem more likely? Not sure what to do here to troubleshoot.

Try putting your multivalve on Recirculate and run the pump. See what that pressure is. That takes the filter part out of the equation.

Well. I would say the gauge is bad. I assume it goes to zero when you turn the pump off. Does it have a bleed port on the back?

It goes to zero when off and no bleed port. I just noticed the basket inside the pump has a lot of debris on the pickup side (i.e. - where the water enters the pump.) It was clean when I turned the system on but I forgot to put the basket in the skimmer for about the first 10 minutes the system was running. I'll clean it out good and see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.