Pressure high after messy concrete install

lwtaylor

Feb 27, 2022
Nashville, TN
Hey all! I am a new pool owner, concrete decking just installed this month after the pool being in the ground (and full of water) for over a year. Very long frustrating process, but we're almost there!

My concrete guys were really messy, and spilled a ton of concrete into the pool during the pour. I talked to them about it, but they seemed to think it would come out in the filter no problem. I am using the manual vaccuum twice a day + a robot to get the larger pieces out, and it's slow-going. Larger pieces of gravel get stuck in the vaccuum head constantly, and if i vaccuum up a lot of those pieces successsfuly, I get a low flow error and the vaccuum is basically useless unless I clean out the skimmer basket.

On top of these issues, my pressure is a good 10psi higher than it should be. I have a 300# sand filter, and I've cleaned it yesterday, and today, and still the pressure is not going down. This morning I pulled out the pump filter to find tiny bits of concrete that had embedded into the filter itself.. I was able to clean it out with a toothpick, but that didn't alleviate the pressure issues.

Lastly, when I do backwash, sometimes the water flow will suddenly get really low coming out of the waste pipe. Sometimes I wait and it eventually comes back to what looks like full pressure, but sometimes I stop and switch to rinse.

Is there something stuck in my sand filter? Do I just need to keep backwashing? Help please!

Laura

Concrete is the worst thing you can put in your system.

The sharp bits clog up everything including the impeller and multiport.

The cement clogs up the sand and causes all kinds of problems.

Cement has a very high pH and it causes the sand to become almost like a rock as the cement hardens in the sand.

The builder should bring a side pump to clean everything as it is their problem that they caused.

You probably need to clean the impeller, multiport and sand.

You should not try to vacuum concrete with your system.

What type of pool do you have?

Can you show the system?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.