Preparing pool for a storm when it is surrounded by trees

Noob123

May 12, 2020
Gallatin
Our pool is surrounded by trees and many of them are dropping seeds, catkins, and small leaves into the pool this time of year. Thunderstorms with high winds are expected tonight and tomorrow morning so I’m going to have to turn the pump off so the skimmer doesn’t get clogged and ruin the pump. It makes me nervous to do this because we have been slamming our pool and just passed the OCLT two days ago. Since the pump is going to be off for about 16 hours, should I increase the chlorine beyond my normal target level in case we get a lot of leaves in the pool? If I should, how much extra chlorine should I add? I’d also like to know if there is any kind of cheap manual vacuum I could buy to remove leaves and seeds on the bottom that doesn’t connect to the skimmer. The last time we had a storm during the spring, it took me 2 hours to get all of the leaves off the bottom of the pool with the net and manual vacuum, so I’d love to get something to make this job easier on my back. Unfortunately, we can’t afford to buy a pool cleaning robot at this time.

I would take it up to SLAM level now, and then use a leaf rake to clear off the bottom after the storm. Then one more time to SLAM level.

Reactions: Noob123
There are also things like these that you could put into your vacuum line that would help keep the skimmer basket clear, but it’s just one more thing to empty:

Is it always wise to get it up to shock level before and after a storm when you are shutting off the pump overnight or for more than 8 hours? Or do I only need to do this because we just had algae? I don’t normally keep chlorine around but I might consider getting some more to keep in the garage if I need to do this before and after a thunderstorm because of the tree situation. These trees are a huge nuisance because we lose a ton of leaves every time we have a storm with high winds so we have to turn off the pump every time a storm is in the forecast.

Do you have a main drain? IF so, leave both the main drain and the skimmer open and use a skimmer sock (quick run to pool store) to collect debris i the skimmer and not affect the pump. The main drain is your insurance that your pump is always getting water even if skimmer clogged.

If you have any way of covering the pool that's helpful.

You don't have to do anything else, some folks like to top off their FC a bit but its not required. You can leave your pump and SWG running on its normal schedule, just keep an eye on the pool in case it overfills.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.