Preparing for Winter - Any Extra Equipment?

chrisg7

Aug 28, 2023
Dallas TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I’m a new pool owner and so thankful for this group.

I think our swimming season here is about over and I’m preparing for colder temperatures.

I wanted to send a picture of my equipment and ask what, if anything, I need to do for winter?

A pool guy told me I might need some kind of anti-freeze device? I’m not sure if that’s right or where that would go. I figured pictures of my equipment might help.

So, my question is:

Do I need to do anything to this equipment to prepare for fall/winter?

Thank you so much!
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4559.jpeg
    IMG_4559.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4560.jpeg
    IMG_4560.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4561.jpeg
    IMG_4561.jpeg
    610 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4562.jpeg
    IMG_4562.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4564.jpeg
    IMG_4564.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4565.jpeg
    IMG_4565.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4567.jpeg
    IMG_4567.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4568.jpeg
    IMG_4568.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 9
Chris, most of us in TX, like @Jimrahbe in your area, don't close. Unlike the northerners, we don't have the lengthy deep freeze conditions. As such, we simply let the pool run and balance chemicals like normal. In the colder water, the chlorine level lasts long which means less work for us. We do need to remain vigilant and educated on what to do if we experience such freeze conditions like in 2017 & 2021 that we lose power. That's when trouble starts as the pipes can freeze during a power outage. As long as water is loving and/or not puddling somewhere (i.e. waterfall) you are fine.

But if you still wish to close your pool, I'll post a link below to help you along.

Reactions: chrisg7
Chris, most of us in TX, like @Jimrahbe in your area, don't close. Unlike the northerners, we don't have the lengthy deep freeze conditions. As such, we simply let the pool run and balance chemicals like normal. In the colder water, the chlorine level lasts long which means less work for us. We do need to remain vigilant and educated on what to do if we experience such freeze conditions like in 2017 & 2021 that we lose power. That's when trouble starts as the pipes can freeze during a power outage. As long as water is loving and/or not puddling somewhere (i.e. waterfall) you are fine.

But if you still wish to close your pool, I'll post a link below to help you along.

Thank you so much!

I do plan to leave it open but wanted to make sure I needed the anti-freeze device the pool guy was talking about or if I needed to do anything else to treat the pool for winter.

What do you think about the anti-freeze device?

Thanks so much!!

Chris,

If you had a VS pump, I'd recommend just running it all winter.. Mine run 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.

With a single speed pump you need a timer with a built-in freeze protect control.. This will turn your pump on when the air temp gets down to freezing.

If you actually close your pool, you really need a cover and then drain all the equipment.. I don't think you will need to blow out the lines like they do up north.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Chris,

You can add something like this to your timer box..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.