Gold Supporter
Oct 10, 2021
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
All - I am a new pool owner as of last year and heard the horror stories from last year's deep freeze in Texas, primarily due to electric being off. I was one of those last year who lacked electricity for long stretches. Before the weather hits in coming days, I want to make sure I am prepared.

First, I wanted to be prepared on how to properly drain my equipment. Attached is a photo. I found 4 drains - pump, vacuum pump, filter, and the fusion dispenser. I do not see one for my heat pump. Looking in the manual, I found this:

Disconnect the water inlet and outlet unions as
well as the winterizing drain plug (if applicable)
located on the lower front panel of the heat pump.
The heat exchanger will drain through these water
connections.

The inlet / outlet pipes are clear, but I do not see a winterizing plug. Any ideas where I might find it? If I undo the inlet / outlet pipes, would that be good enough?

Are there any other drains that I should be finding?

Finally, any input on proactively draining before the really cold weather hits ? The temperature will be dropping continually for 60 or so straight hours from a high of 67 Tuesday afternoon to a low of 18 Friday morning with temperatures below freezing for most of Thursday / Friday. I could drain Tuesday / Wednesday to stay in front.

Attached is the equipment on my pad.

IMG_8200.png

You certainly can keep the system operating as long as you don't lose power. That's the wildcard. Last year was unusual for sure. But if you suspect power won't be coming back on anytime soon, focus on the filter plug, pump plugs(s), Fusion, and the heater "if" it has a plug. I believe some do not. @ajw22 might be able to confirm on your model. You can also take a couple tarps or covers and drape them over the equipment. Maybe place a light or two under the cover as well. It can help. It's all about that "Plan B" contingency. Hopefully you won't need it, but you never know.

thank you @Texas Splash for quick reply. I will be sure to have blankets and some battery powered lights to put under there.

In the event that I do drain it, do I need to do anything specific to restart the system - e.g. pour few buckets of what into the pump? - or is it good enough to just let it turn on?

As a fellow Texan, I am hoping the power grid stays functional. They said it has passed the winterizing tests.
One item you may want to review is your pump. I have a Pentair and it has 2 drain plugs - 1 by the basket and the other under the impeller housing. Since you have a Jandy pump it would be good to verify that.
Hope all goes well.

Reactions: HeyEng and mfork00
As a fellow Texan, I am hoping the power grid stays functional. They said it has passed the winterizing tests.
One item you may want to review is your pump. I have a Pentair and it has 2 drain plugs - 1 by the basket and the other under the impeller housing. Since you have a Jandy pump it would be good to verify that.
Hope all goes well.

thank you for pointing out there may be a 2nd plug - there is indeed another one!

thank you @Texas Splash for quick reply. I will be sure to have blankets and some battery powered lights to put under there.

In the event that I do drain it, do I need to do anything specific to restart the system - e.g. pour few buckets of what into the pump? - or is it good enough to just let it turn on?
If the lights are battery powered then I would guess the heat that would be given off would be minimal to none. There are chicken coop warmers that inherently safer around combustible materials and should be available at a Tractor Supply, Atwoods, or similar store.

On a side note, those of us in Oklahoma are enjoying a beautiful day in the 70s before the misery of winter blankets us with really cold air, freezing rain, sleet, and snow a few days from now. I mean come on...look at this....how rude?!?!

1643664993343.png

Reactions: mfork00
I second our Northern Friend to TX that if you chose to cover, use something more potent than a flashlight battery, Your equipment pad should have a 110 outlet...plug in a candescent light like the one in the link... it also heats up the aluminum cover to add add'l heat. They are inexpensive and you will use it again for other things,,,good luck w the cold.

We luckily made it through last year’s deep freeze unscathed. I covered all of our equipment and above ground plumbing with a cheap tarp, hoping that heat generated by the pump would be trapped and provide just enough extra warmth to keep the equipment and pipes from freezing. I don’t know if the tarp really made a difference, but I’m doing the same thing again this week. We only experienced intermittent power outages - off for an hour or two, then on for an hour. If power had been out for an extended period of time, I’m sure we would have had some damage. Fingers crossed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would be ready to drain if needed, but only if we lose power for long stretches.

Last year was much colder and stayed below freezing for much longer, so I'm hoping it will not be as bad. I fought to keep my pool going for the first 24 hours of blackouts last year, but finally gave up and drained everything with no issues.

As I was standing on my back wall busting up ice in front of the skimmers, I could see the 3 pools behind me running just fine and them sitting all cozy in their houses since their portion of the grid did not get the blackouts. Point being, if you do not lose power for multiple times and for a duration over ~15 minutes, your pool should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.