Preparation to be new hot tub owner - Chlorine Route

HelloJ

Apr 17, 2019
Miami, FL
Hello,

I will be purchasing a 315 gallon hot tub that will have an ozonator which I am reading could be a problem for chlorine.

I know first thing I have to do is fill and drain with some Ahh-Some.
Do I have to fill completely for this? I read in some other forums just the foothold is enough but I am unsure.

For the most part I got most of my information for chemicals from the chlorine sticky. I will be buying a Taylor kit along with FC strips, but I am still iffy on some parts such as starting from the beginning.

PH 7.2 - 7.8 with the use of Muriactic acid and baking soda to regulate
TA 50 I've read 50 is the magic number here and I believe I would be using 20 mule team borax (acts as a buffer as well)
CH 120 - 150 PPM I will be using Calcium Chloride Pellets
CYA 20-30 PPM I will be following the sticky and will be using a Cyanuric Acid Stabilizer or Chlorinating Granules till 30 PPM and switch to a bleach (Please let me know you preference for this need)
FC 3 - 6 PPM - I will be testing for this daily and adding bleach per use, what concentration is prefer for this? (I saw one person recommend 6%)

Is there a certain order to do these things in for a first time fill and ever fill after?

Will the ozonator have a negative affect on the hot tub since I am not going the bromine route?

I've read on some reddit posts that I should only add CH and Borate once per drain, is there any truth to this?

Also, on reddit posts I seen many people swear by aqua finesse but I hardly read any posts on here about that, is it worth looking into?

Please let me know if I am missing any chemicals or if any of the chemicals I listed has an negative affect such as bad residue and you have an alternative instead.

Thanks,

J

Welcome to the forum!
I read in your post "FC Strips". Do know that test strips are not accurate, reliable, or repeatable and should not be used for testing purposes.
Aqua Finesse has a number of products. All are available as plain household products that are far cheaper and you know what you are adding.
I believe the tub needs to be full to do an AhhSome treatment. @Ahhsomeguy can help you out.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to TFP! Looks like you've done plenty if studying up. :thumleft:

Yes, ch and borates only need to be added/adjusted once per drain/fill

Any bleach percentage is fine just be sure to adjust the strength when using pool math. 6% is most common these days.

I don't know what aqua finesse is.

Using the ozonator is fine.

There is no order for adjusting water chemistry.

Yes, tub needs to be filled so that the Ahhsome can be run through all the jets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.