Jun 11, 2018
League City, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We are about to start construction on our pool but I have a question about what I need for a robot cleaner. Our pool will come with a Polaris 280. Not sure that I want a robot cleaner but I want to have the option to use one in the future should I decide I’m not happy with the Polaris. Do I just need a GFCI plug? I would have to get the pool builder to add one at the equipment pad b/c there is no plug near the pool. The pool is mostly oval shaped.
Thanks in advance,
James

You want a robot [emoji16] Definitely get an outdoor power point for one. In fact get as many points as you can. We have an additional three near the equipment pad plus a double closet to the pool that’s for the robot and the little electric pump to blow up the kids pool toys.

Thanks Riley00dog!

I will be sure to get ask for an extra power outlet. Maybe even two. I just wasn’t sure if I needed anything else besides an outlet. I’ve read about so many pros and cons of robots and pressure cleaners I don’t think I’ll know how I feel about either one till I actually have a pool and start using one. At least this way my options will be open to both.

It’s great that you’re keeping your options open. Our pb included a robot in our contract. There were options to upgrade but ours does the floor and walls so we didn’t see the need. We love our robot Jeff so much. He’s my favourite piece of equipment. He’s silent and just goes about his business efficiently. Can run him whenever regardless of whether the pump is running. The stuff he picks up is amazing even when the pool looks perfectly clean.

I finally got to see a robot in action yesterday actually (Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus available on Amazon for about $750) when a neighbor got one. So amazing. I also posted recently about adding a GFI plug closer to the pool, but I found an option near our pad that’s as close as I can get.

I’m assuming your pool will be fairly large if you’re getting a pressure-side cleaner. As many will mention the pressure side cleaners require a running main pump and usually another booster pump to get enough Umph for it to operate—so lots of electricity. My first pool had a version of the Polaris 280 that was vintage mid-1990s and had a load of replacement parts, but it still worked. It worked well because I had lots of large debris like large leaves. Now my debris is more fine (sand/dust) so a pressure side wouldn’t work well.

I fought the idea, but robots are gonna destroy other pool cleaners in no time. It’s clear that robots will continue to improve, and (hopefully) come down in price. I say future-proof and add convenient GFI plugs and maybe a locking shelter for the robot and chems and brushes and such. They use little electricity, are more nimble and clean more areas like pool-line tile, are quiet, and easily removed so no more swimming around thick piping.

Congrats on the new pool!

I finally got to see a robot in action yesterday actually (Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus available on Amazon for about $750) when a neighbor got one. So amazing. I also posted recently about adding a GFI plug closer to the pool, but I found an option near our pad that’s as close as I can get.

I’m assuming your pool will be fairly large if you’re getting a pressure-side cleaner. As many will mention the pressure side cleaners require a running main pump and usually another booster pump to get enough Umph for it to operate—so lots of electricity. My first pool had a version of the Polaris 280 that was vintage mid-1990s and had a load of replacement parts, but it still worked. It worked well because I had lots of large debris like large leaves. Now my debris is more fine (sand/dust) so a pressure side wouldn’t work well.

I fought the idea, but robots are gonna destroy other pool cleaners in no time. It’s clear that robots will continue to improve, and (hopefully) come down in price. I say future-proof and add convenient GFI plugs and maybe a locking shelter for the robot and chems and brushes and such. They use little electricity, are more nimble and clean more areas like pool-line tile, are quiet, and easily removed so no more swimming around thick piping.

Congrats on the new pool!

I don’t think my pool is large, it’s prolly average(see my sig). My backyard has no trees and where is live is just hot and humid not much dust. So there shouldn’t be too much debris. If I feel the Polaris isn’t working for me I’ll switch to a robot. Thanks for all the advice.

If you want to save on electricity, make sure you install the new Polaris PB4SQ multi-stage booster pump it's also very quiet.

Depending on your debris potential, the 280 might be good enough for your needs.

No trees in my backyard and not much dust either. So hopefully debris will be minimal. I think my booster pump is going to be a Hayward one but not sure which one. I shouldn’t have to run the Polaris but a short time each day so energy isuage should be minimal. I guess I’ll goind out once I’ve had it awhile. Thanks for the help!

Our former pressure cleaner did a terrible job gathering dust like debris. Not to mention it wouldn’t cover the geometry of a rectangle pool with a deep end (bad). We also have a very clean environment but the stuff is still there. Our robot now gets it all and the difference is night and day. Very little upside to a pressure cleaner overall in my view.

No trees in my backyard and not much dust either. So hopefully debris will be minimal. I think my booster pump is going to be a Hayward one but not sure which one. I shouldn’t have to run the Polaris but a short time each day so energy isuage should be minimal. I guess I’ll goind out once I’ve had it awhile. Thanks for the help!

You may see pollen or other fine debris then, if you have sandstone for example. I would try the stock 280 filter bag, it's general purpose but take note that it's not good for fine debris, most will pass through it and a lot of people do not know Polaris has a special bag for fine debris, Part Number K14. This will trap and filter your water much cleaner.

Give it time, wait till the spring or summer after getting some hours to see if it's worth the money to get something else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’d definitely invest in that finer bag. A cheap upgrade.

My PB offered to give me a Hayward Tigershark robot at no additional cost. I thought it would be hundreds extra and I just didn’t want to spend anymore money. So now I’m ditching the 280 for the Tigershark. Thanks for the input everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.