Reviving out of service pool: FG & deck Refresh

Milestone today: finished 1st pass of 2nd half of pool. Will have to change activity criteria. Was scoop 4 lawn carts full / day.

Had a spectator. Not thrilled 'cause it kept criticizing my technique. Said my leaf net turns weren't fast enough and only gave me a 5.0. ? :LOL:

snake in pool.jpg

Only about 12"-16". It wanted out, but I need to check what kind it is first. I'm a leave me alone and I'll leave you alone type with snakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casey
Can't see the head good enough but the body sure looks like a white rat snake........not sure why it is in the water though.....not their usual style.....be careful please. LOL on him only scoring you a 5.0! HAHA

Yeah, after looking at some web pics, I think it's a rat snake too. Went out a bit ago, but no can see now. If it shows up tomorrow, I'll give it a lift. Can't trust those interspecies judges with their tech scores. :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Still outstanding question: Hartfort Loop for Air Jets in pool.

Another update to plumbing logical diagram:
--removed drain from solar return
--added filter drain & tied into existing waste line. Actuator on this because of low position and we're old coots. Omit check valves here 'cause doesn't make sense to open filter drain AND multi waste at same time.
20d Equipment Layout 4.jpg

Shopping list:
IntelliCenter i8PSIC60 (521903-IC60)
IntelliFlo GFCI Breaker 2-Pole 20A (PA220GF)
IntelliFlo VS 3 HP pump (11028)
Quad 60 DE filter (188592)

CMP Hi-Temp Union 2" (pair) (21063-200-000) qty 3 (pump, filter, SWG)
Pentair multi-port 2" (261055)
Jandy 4724 NeverLube 2-Way 1.5-2" qty 7 (6 for entry/exit pad, 1 for filter drain)
Jandy 4716 NeverLube 2-Way 2-2.5" qty 2
Jandy 4717 NeverLube 3-Way 2-2.5" qty 2
Jandy 7305 2-2.5 Check Valve qty 3 (added 1 for blower air)
Pentair 263047 Solar Valve w/ drain-down (263047)
FlowVis 2" (FV-C)
Zodiac (Jandy) 4424 Actuator

Already have
:
1 Jandy Actuator
2 temp sensors compatible with Goldline GL-235 solar control

As needed:
Liquid tight conduit & fittings
wire
GFCI breaker(s)
water-proof outlets
Sched 80 nipple to be cut for filter drain elbow
Sched 40 pipe & fittings
primer & glue

Questions:

--Was told that IntelliFlo VS 011056 is trade version of 11028, but actually same pump. True?
--Amazon lists the CMP Hi-Temp Union pkg as a pair, but some reviews say its a single union. Single or 2 complete unions - anyone know?
--Is filter drain 1-1/2" or 2"? Think I read that it's 1-1/2". Edit: found 1-1/2" drain size confirmation in manual
--Existing temp sensors compatible with IntelliCenter for solar?

Last edited:
Scooped 1/2 the pool yesterday & the other half today. Guess my 1st pass was pretty thorough 'cause only a handful of leaves and the muck that I did extract was more like thick chocolate milk (but didn't taste to confirm :LOL:). Really much better than I expected. (y)

Ordered small submersible pump that should be here tomorrow. Plan to order temp AG pump tomorrow to use until pad rebuild is complete. Hoping it'll only be a week or less to get here.

Still haven't 100% decided that I'm going to remove the existing ball valves on each pipe that enters/exits the pad. If I can get them to work this one time, I really don't have to drain any more on the pool; the new Jandy 2-ways will replace them function-wise. Big part of the dilemma is that until I get the old stuff out and do a basic physical layout with the new equipment, I don't know if I'm going to run the pipes across the floor or route them again around the edges of the walls. Will make a difference on the placement of the Jandys. If I remove the ball valves to be replaced by the Jandys, I've got to know the pipe routings and drain some on the pool. :unsure:

In the meantime, don't want to lose the gain that I've made already with the pool itself. About all that I can think of doing until the AG pump arrives is refreshing the scooping like I did yesterday & today. Without circulation, doesn't seem like tossing in chlorine would do much. Or running the initial tests. If only I'd known that my first pass would seem to have gotten so much, would have ordered temp equipment already and stocked chlorine. :brickwall:

--Was told that IntelliFlo VS 011056 is trade version of 11028, but actually same pump. True?
The 56 is a VSF and the 28 is a VS pump. Also, I think the 56 has a longer warranty.

--Amazon lists the CMP Hi-Temp Union pkg as a pair, but some reviews say its a single union. Single or 2 complete unions - anyone know?
Each union has two parts that mate together.

--Existing temp sensors compatible with IntelliCenter for solar?
Should be. They are existing from what?

I don't know if I'm going to run the pipes across the floor or route them again around the edges of the walls
I don't like pipes under the pool should anything go wrong, it is impossible to get to.

The 56 is a VSF and the 28 is a VS pump. Also, I think the 56 has a longer warranty.
So they aren't the same pump. Think seller was just trying to save me $100 on the 56.

Each union has two parts that mate together.
Yeah, I know. The Amazon listing shows what looks like 2 males only. Amazon CMP Hi-Temp Union 2" (pair) Saw that they were recommended here on TFP and the extra gasket sounded appealing. I'm used to buying unions and don't think these are going to work except for the pump. Ordered a set yesterday, so I'll see soon.

Should be. They [temp sensors] are existing from what?
Purchased years ago to be used with the Goldline GL-235 when I bought the solar panels, but never installed.

I don't like pipes under the pool should anything go wrong, it is impossible to get to.
No, meant on the floor of the equip pad. Pics of current state:
08 Pump pad.jpg
09 Pump pad right floor.jpg
09a Pump pad right floor.jpg

That is a different union then I was considering. Those are specialized unions for the Intelliflo pump so you only need one pair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unanswered question from earlier in the thread
Air jets in pool: need Hartford Loop? There was a loop at the pad in the original plumbing with (assumed) check valve on horizontal leg, but blower may have been below pool's water line. Current blower instructions seem to just want blower positioned above water line with a check valve. Guessing distance from pad to jets is 40 ft; 2" pipe.

Saw this in a post under Pumps
One reason you need a Hartford loop is if you ever want to run the spa venturis without a blower. Blowers can be loud and annoying.

However, the other reason is the pad is below water level so the air line would be running downhill. That can also cause problems even with a blower.

So this would indicate that I should have a Hartford Loop. Any specs on height, width?

Edit: But then again, the quoted post was for putting a loop at the spa - mine would be at the equip pad ... so guess I'm still not sure. :unsure:

Last edited:
Well I do have 1 piece of unknown in the deep end that I haven't been able to move with the leaf net that I'm calling the Heart of the Ocean. Maybe it's a secret den ... or gateway to another dimension. :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: Snoobug
So I was looking at your shopping list. Are you just replacing the DE filter or resuing the same one. Have you considered going with a cartridge filter? you would get rid of the multivalve, backflush line and perhaps simplify things in your limited space equipment cubby. I apologize if you mentioned this upthread, but I don't recall.

New DE. Seriously thought about cartridge early on, but hubby has limited arm/shoulder motion & dealing with the DE looks like a better choice for us (so I don't have to be the only one who can clean it... ?).

Ok.. I get that..I had a DE filter on the pool originally and it was all I could do to get away from it. the vanes were busted.. etc. I put a cartridge filter in when I redid all the equipment about 15 years ago...it really simplified my layout. I really only clean my cartridges twice a year.. once at the beginning of the pool season and once at the end to prep it for its off season downtime. Depending on the configuration filter they could be a bear to heave around. But mine aren't too bad. I just thought I would throw in my two cents.

Your thoughts are appreciated. The existing plumbing does look complex, but was actually pretty simple to use. Made sure all of the user controls & maint items were easy to reach. With automation, several things in the existing maze will be greatly simplifed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.