Prep for hurricane

May 10, 2017
Orlando, FL
We are preparing for the first possible hurricane as pool owners. Is there any preparation that would be good to do, or not do in the days leading up to the storm?

I've heard of draining a few inches of water out of the pool in advance, and considered raising the FC in case we lose power for a few days

I'll build out my sig later, but here are the basic specs on our pool:

In-ground, screened in enclosure
10,000 gal
Hayward SWG
Plaster base

Hi there Rtcarlson - welcome to TFP

Stock up on basic plain unscented, old fashioned bleach. You might need some CYA and calcium also. If you buy some and don't need it perhaps they'll refund you?

Do you know how to drain some water out if it gets too high? Don't drain any in advance for risk of floating as ground water rises. Many people put their patio/deck furniture in the pool to keep it from flying about.

A couple other threads are on the forums asking the same questions... check them out too.

Welcome! Stay Safe!

Maddie :flower:

You can raise your FC a day or 2 out to shock levels, and turn off your pump if there's risk of any flooding getting to your pump and shorting it out. First and foremost though, do not go outside during the thick of it to deal with your pool. You can always fix a pool, can't always fix a person, so keep yourself and your family safe.

Thanks for the replies! I've checked out some of the other threads too and I think we're in pretty good shape, as far as the pool is concerned.

I picked up 3 gal of bleach and a jug of acid over the weekend. That should get us up to shock level at least once. I have bulk calcium and soda coming tomorrow/thursday too. Everything outside can be easily secured or moved inside.

Last edited:
RT,

We live in Stuart on the coast SE of you. Below is our prep list. You can see there are 3 groups of items based on time to impact and/or evacuation. We've already done the first group. 2nd group is tomorrow and 3rd group will be done by 9 am Thursday unless NHC changes timing forecast.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Hurricane Prep List

· Make sure both cars are full on gas and ready to go.
· Get compact food and water assembled
· Cash on hand (at least $500 since credit cards may not work in power outage)
· Get prescriptions filled
· Prepare important documents
· Take photos of expensive household goods
· Get first aid kit ready for the car
· Prepare evacuation route with gas stations identified

· Get patio furniture inside.
· Remove anything outside that can be moved
· Pack bags

· Cut screens on enclosure if evacuating or wind speeds greater than 120 mph are emminent
· Super chlorinate the pool
· Remove blades from patio fans
· Turn off pool equipment
· Turn A/C’s to high thermostat setting if evacuating
· Turn off water if evacuating
· Put compact food and water in the car if evacuating
· Send email to relatives with route if we decide to evacuate

RT,

We live in Stuart on the coast SE of you. Below is our prep list. You can see there are 3 groups of items based on time to impact and/or evacuation. We've already done the first group. 2nd group is tomorrow and 3rd group will be done by 9 am Thursday unless NHC changes timing forecast.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Hurricane Prep List

· Make sure both cars are full on gas and ready to go.
· Get compact food and water assembled
· Cash on hand (at least $500 since credit cards may not work in power outage)
· Get prescriptions filled
· Prepare important documents
· Take photos of expensive household goods
· Get first aid kit ready for the car
· Prepare evacuation route with gas stations identified

· Get patio furniture inside.
· Remove anything outside that can be moved
· Pack bags

· Cut screens on enclosure if evacuating or wind speeds greater than 120 mph are emminent
· Super chlorinate the pool
· Remove blades from patio fans
· Turn off pool equipment
· Turn A/C’s to high thermostat setting if evacuating
· Turn off water if evacuating
· Put compact food and water in the car if evacuating
· Send email to relatives with route if we decide to evacuate

That's a really good list. Might use it myself if things get bad enough in GA

Yippee,

Thanks and yes too many over the years on the Gulf Coast, cyclones in SE Asia, and Florida all the way back to Camille in 1969.

Chris

Cole,

I don't have any experience with a cover but I've logged over 25,000 miles offshore sailing. Covers look a lot like a sail to me. If the edge comes up on a rolled up sail and starts to flap it quickly destroys itself and most of the other things around it. Once it starts to flail you don't dare go near it. It's hard to imagine but I've learned this the hard way and it cost me a $3000 sail plus the stress of louder than crazy flapping till it's destroyed right when you need to focus on other important things to keep the boat stable and on course. My advice is do the safest thing you can now. Worst approach is to "watch it" then react. Even relatively light 30 mph gusts can hurt you if you try to disassemble it small pieces at a time. Looks like you could get sustained 75 mph winds with the current forecast. Be safe!

I hope this helps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.