Pre pool opening (white water mold)

Awe shucks 🤗 thanks

You def have angel wings … volunteer ?!
You probably feel like we are related by now you’ve helped so much lol

Always appreciative
BPM - temporarily
headed back to BAPM
Everyone here is a volunteer & most have been where you are (in the middle of pool problem city)!
We got u! Just stay with us!

That’s amazing !
Give me about 10 more years to learn all I need to know and I’ll volunteer ! 🤣

I almost called the pb and asked for a refund today . One week of bliss , Three years of fighting

Reactions: Newdude
You are right where most of us where when we found TFP! We almost did not buy this house as it had a pool! Look at me know...........a MOD on a pool forum LOL

What I found most helpful was to pick an area and read. That way I could head off any problems before they even got started. You have done well and it will only get better and easier.

Good morning still losing pretty good

Here is a run down

Yesterday
6:45 am 11.5
9 am 14
10:20 am 16 (didn’t add, 16 is target)
2 pm 11
5:45 pm 12.5
9 pm 14
Today
6:15 am 13.5 fc 0.5 cc
9:40 14 fc 0.5 cc
12:45 14.5 fc
3:00 14.5 fc 0 cc
5:00 13 fc 0 cc

For reference
Started slam Sunday first few days was using 24 as target (before testing cya)
I check and add multiple times per day like 5 plus times a day

Last edited:
Interesting 🤔
That sure seems like a lot goop.
At any rate get it out & scrub them as best you can.
Let’s keep the fc up & get another oclt.
Looking for something else with the pool supplies today… near the tool they left for the lights, is a tube of “magic lube” they must’ve left along with the tool. Guess they were a little heavy handed with it

Looking for something else with the pool supplies today… near the tool they left for the lights, is a tube of “magic lube” they must’ve left along with the tool. Guess they were a little heavy handed with it
Magic lube is usually clearish. If that was the goop you should be confident that you’re orings are completely covered!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m not understanding your readings
Did you test after your final addition of the night to ensure you reached your target of 16ppm? & then your am reading was 14.5ppm?

Even if you pass, I'm not going to be happy until the filter is inspected.

For all the folks coming in grasping at straws that they have some freakish alien algae problem, you actually did have a one off issue that we rarely see.

With a baqua conversion, where we typically see the WWM, new sand and possibly a plumbing cleaning would be standard issue advice once the water is holding FC. We skipped that here as it's not a typical chlorine pool recommendation, and it bit us IMO.

Finishing SLAM 2 without finding a 'AHA moment', is begging for a SLAM 3. (Also IMO).

Eventhough it wasn’t an official oclt, a 1.5ppm loss is an improvement so take the win 😁
Have you backwashed lately after discovering all the gunk/goop?
Since you really aren’t wanting to perform a deep clean /inspection of the sand water hose style you may try just doing 2 good backwashes in a row.
I do this after my equipment has been sitting over winter.
It may not make a difference but I often get more stuff out on the second round.
Backwash until sight glass runs clear, rinse until no sand is in the sight glass.
Turn the handle back to filter to allow the filter to refill but leave the pump off & let it sit a few minutes.
Then backwash and rinse again as described above.

I agree with @Newdude about your sand being suspect- when we deal with goop from the baqua conversion process the sand/filter media is replaced in the final stage so naturally there are no lingering effects from previous white water mold/pink slime/baqua goo to deal with.

I have a call in for a filter inspection and possible sand replacement. I’m just too scared to do it myself. 10 days out for someone to come . I ran into a “not deliverable” issue with the ahhsome on Amazon. I will call him today. Hopefully can get that quickly so the yuck from plumbing goes through the old sand 🤷🏼‍♀️
I did one container of it last year just before closing. Lots of gunk in the bottom, some suspended in the water
Glad y’all suggested opening early

Few messages back and forth with the pb about the filter . He says they are seeing several cases of wwm this year, mild winter etc . Last year dealing with mine he said it’s uncommon . We all know they don’t use fc/cya standards . Just the typical 1-3 ppm fc “superchlorinate” one a week

Have you backwashed lately after discovering all the gunk/goop?
I have. Two days ago.
Normally do it once a week just because.
The pump primes for 5 min once shut off and back on. I normally let it run 4 min on backwash before turning to rinse for about 30 seconds to 1 min
Have never considered doing two back to back. I can try that . Sight glass turns clear very quickly usually within one min but I continue to let it run. That being said my pressure never increases or decreases it always hangs about 20 on the gauge unless the pump is in prime or a lower speed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support