Pre-mixed Cell cleaner didn't clean cell, advice please

mas985 said:
Rockstead said:
Why won't this thing sizzle?
The only reason it won't fizz is because it isn't calcium/scale. But if you use full strength it might so just give it a try to make sure. Also, a chunk should break off pretty easy so if it is something else and it doesn't break off, that could be another clue.

Also, did you have any other plumbing issues that were repaired recently?

So a few observations, that gunk is only on one side of the SWG, the other side looks perfect.

I removed some from the grills and placed it in a cup with straight acid, no fizzle but it did yellow.

No plumbing issues.

Then it isn't scale. It might have been something that got through the filter and stuck to the cell which is why I asked about the plumbing. Other than that, I am not sure what it could be. How easy does it come off? You might just try to remove it with a wooden skewer.

Ok so if it was the stuff that was supposed to typically build up on the SWG, calcium I think, wouldn't that have been present on both sides of the SWG? This gunk is only on the one opening, the other opening is spotless.

So I can just go ahead and maybe use a long wooden skewer and poke and pick it all off.

Do I have to be concerned about what actually melted?

I would be a little concerned or at least I would want to find out where it came from. Can you tell what it was made of? Does it crumble like calcium or is it hard like PVC or is it soft like gum?

You guys called it right, it isn't calcium and luckily it isn't melted plumbing. It's a silicone type sealer and the other appears to be threading from plumbers tape, anyhow that's what it looks like to me, I attached some pics.

No idea how it got in to the plumbing, I cleaned it to the best of my ability with the sharp end of a wooden BBQ skewer.

Good enough?

My question is, what is your readings of output from this cell after your 3 yrs. of use, I have a mineral springs SWG systems going on 5 yrs. this summer, just like you, only open 4 mos. a yr. not seeing any built up on fins in cell, but seeing system readings dropping the last 2 seasons. So is the cell just losing its output strength from age, many websites or stores tell you to replace the cell 3 to 4 yrs. , But everyone wants to sell you something also, I have increased the output control from 60% to 75% and still run about 2400 mmps or mpps (not sure of M"s) So just trying not to waste to much $ if it work at 80 or 90% for while longer, and not burn up system by running to much. Don't want the wife to get to upset with me, Her pool, my main chore. Thanks BTW 18' x 36' igp, Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.