mkfe47

Feb 10, 2018
Waddell, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is there ever a need to change the water jn your pool? Does it get “stale” even though it remains perfectly clear and sanitized with proper Ph?
I test daily with a TF-100 kit and haven’t had any sanitizer issue, calcium build up, Ph oscillations etc., the pool has looked perfect for the five years I’ve owned the house. My question/concern is the water tastes “salty” (I don’t use a salt generator). Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your insights!

Does it get “stale” even though it remains perfectly clear and sanitized
Nope. But without a water softener, folks with hard water and high evaporation rates gain too much Calcium over time and need to drain.
My question/concern is the water tastes “salty” (I don’t use a salt generator). Should I be concerned?
Also nope. Each gallon of 10% adds 7ppm salt for you. With a long season you easily use 100 gallons a season, and 5 years later, you have a 'salt pool' at 3500ppm. But don't worry, it's pool water and only 10% the salinity of the ocean. Most folks start to taste it around 3000, so I bet you're a little north of there.

Reactions: mgtfp

If you are using Liquid Chlorine, it will add a little salt to the pool. Over several years it can build up.

I have a saltwater pool and have found that I can start tasting it at about 3600 or so ppm.

Edit.. The real question is why do you not have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mgtfp and Bperry
Is there ever a need to change the water jn your pool?

Certainly not because of a bit of salt.

What worries me a bit is your CSI approaching +0.8 due to your CH of 1000. Your last CH measurement seems to be 9 months old (unless I scrolled past a more recent one). Might be a good idea to check CH and get a current picture .

Any scaling problems?

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Nope. But without a water softener, folks with hard water and high evaporation rates gain too much Calcium over time and need to drain.

Also nope. Each gallon of 10% adds 7ppm salt for you. With a long season you easily use 100 gallons a season, and 5 years later, you have a 'salt pool' at 3500ppm. But don't worry, it's pool water and only 10% the salinity of the ocean. Most folks start to taste it around 3000, so I bet you're a little north of there.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! High evap (I do have elevated Ca) and using LC (having a byproduct of increasing NaCl) explains my “salty” tasting water. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Newdude

If you are using Liquid Chlorine, it will add a little salt to the pool. Over several years it can build up.

I have a saltwater pool and have found that I can start tasting it at about 3600 or so ppm.

Edit.. The real question is why do you not have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Makes sense Jim… why no Saltwater Chlorine Generator, I have no good answer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.