Power Powder Plus and Chlorine?

Khm11

May 24, 2019
St Charles, MO
For about a week now I have been shocking the pool with Dichlor shock bags and using Trichlor chlorine tablets inside my Rainbow 300 feeder. I got some power powder plus today to shock the pool since my CYA was already at a good enough level and I needed more powerful chlorine to kill the remaining algae. Is it safe to use the power powder plus even though I shocked earlier with Dichlor and have a Trichlor feeder?
Thank you!!

If your CYA is already at a good level, you should avoid using any of those pucks or dichlor and stick with either liquid chlorine or cal hypo. Power Powder Plus is Cal Hypo, so that would be alright, but it might be a problem if your CH is already very high. It will add calcium to the pool with every dose. It's really hard to beat liquid chlorine for shocking because it adds nothing else to the pool that might be a problem over the long haul like CYA or calcium.

Adding the cal hypo shouldn't be a problem as long as you put it directly in the pool after mixing it in a 5 Lb bucket with water. What you don't want to do is use the cal hypo pucks that are also sold in that feeder. Cal hypo and trichlor do not mix in a feeder like that.

Liquid Chlorine, sometimes called Liquid Shock is a better product for you. Using all those packets and pucks are setting you up for trouble.

WHY are you "shocking" your pool??? Is it green with algae?? How often are you doing this??
HOW are you testing your water to know what it needs....and what it doesn't need??

Have you read any of our PoolSchool Articles?!?!
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM Process
FC/CYA Levels
Recommended Levels

Can you provide us with current test results from one of the approved test kits-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

How do you *normally* chlorinate your pool??

Maddie :flower:

Ok those are pool store results, right?? Cause ain't no way your CYA is 5ppm if you're using pucks.

Do you own your own TFP approved test kit yet?? The TF-100 or K-2006C? www.tftestkits.net for the first, Amazon for the latter. It *must* contain the FAS-DPD tester for FC/CC at high values.

Ok those are pool store results, right?? Cause ain't no way your CYA is 5ppm if you're using pucks.

Do you own your own TFP approved test kit yet?? The TF-100 or K-2006C? www.tftestkits.net for the first, Amazon for the latter. It *must* contain the FAS-DPD tester for FC/CC at high values.

My apologies I was looking at the wrong test results!

Here are the correct results:

FC- 0.66
CC- 6.39
pH- 7.1
TA- 119
CH- 278
CYA- 55

The pool is a mint green with algae.
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kevin, you’ve dropped by TFP every now and then when your pool goes mint green. You’ll ask a couple of questions but don’t seem to want to answer any. Pool store test results and pool store advice don’t seem to be working for you.

Take the plunge and invest in a recommended test kit. Only put in the pool water the chemicals it needs, and the only way to know that is to test the water yourself. Curious, how much did power powder plus cost? Has it solved your mint green pool water?

The shock is only $25 for 6 packs. Their advice is to use the power powder plus since I’ve been using Dichlor shock for the past week and this will knock out the rest of the algae. I just wanted to double check and make sure their would be no problem with adding the power powder plus with a trichlor feeder running in the background.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.