power outage tripping breaker after new pump install

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We installed a new vs pump this year replacing our hayward dual speed. There was only one change made which was that we removed the on/off switch that controlled high/low speed since it was no longer needed. We wired the pump directly to the black 'main' switch that controls power to all our pool equipment. This switch is connected to our electrical panel.
We noticed earlier in the season that after a power outage the breaker was tripped. We thought it was a one-time event, but after returning from vacation noticed that it happened again. We never had this problem with our previous pump - if there was a power outage it would restart on it's own. Any thoughts on what would cause this and how to prevent it?

Your VS pump should be on its own (not shared) GFCI breaker approved for your pool sub-panel. From your description, it does not sound like it is. For surge protection in the future, I would install a whole house surge protector approved for your main panel or sub-panel.

If you are uncomfortable with electrical repairs, have an electrician install the new breaker for you.

I can only say that I went through months of trying to figure out why my VS pump would sporadically trip the GFCI breaker. I tried a new breaker. No go. Finally, someone pointed out that the manual for the pump (Pentair) specifically says that it needs to be on its own GFCI breaker. I moved the pump to its own breaker and from that day forward have never had another trip. It is an easy fix if you have a slot in your sub-panel for the new breaker.

I can only say that I went through months of trying to figure out why my VS pump would sporadically trip the GFCI breaker. I tried a new breaker. No go. Finally, someone pointed out that the manual for the pump (Pentair) specifically says that it needs to be on its own GFCI breaker. I moved the pump to its own breaker and from that day forward have never had another trip. It is an easy fix if you have a slot in your sub-panel for the new breaker.

In my case however there isn't anything else of significance on that breaker and it's not sporadic. It only happens with power outages. The only items connected are the pump, salt cell and a plug for the pool lights which we never use. The panel inside the house has a double-pole 15 amp GFCI breaker.

I will check the wiring diagrams for the pump and salt cell to see if perhaps there's something not right about the way the wiring was done when the switch was removed. I'm trying to understand why it's only power outages that cause this. It just happened again the other day (we get frequently outages).

There was nothing significant connected to my breaker either. For my brand pump, there wasn't supposed to be anything other than the pump attached to the breaker.

My advice: Buy a separate GFCI breaker for your VS pump. It is a cheap and easy thing to try.

I called Hayward and the guy insisted that it's an electrical issue and not the pump. He was very dismissive in fact. He said that a slow blow breaker should have been installed in my electrical panel as the voltage can fluctuate with vs pumps even though it is always set at low speed. I can't find any reference in the manual or online about this type of breaker being required.

Also, has time has passed I've noticed that the problem is not isolated to power outages. That seems to be the most common cause but I've had it trip without a power outage a couple of times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.