Power Out Help

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Just looking if anyone can check my program to keep algae away while my power is out. Power has been out since Thursday morning (8/12) but my whole house generator lasted for about 36 hours (story for another time), so since Friday, I haven’t been able to run my pump or SWG. I don’t expect power to be back on until tomorrow at best but I’m thinking more like Tuesday or Wednesday as the power company has been pushing back a lot of their estimates.

So, yesterday (Saturday) I went into save the pool mode. I skimmed it - wasn’t too dirty. My FC was at 6 so I put in a gal of LC and I should be up over 10 (I‘ll check it later). This morning (Sunday), I brushed and I put my robot in (thankfully I have a small generator) hoping the robot will move the water around. Now I plan to just keep my FC high (above 10), skim and run the robot after I add chlorine (daily).

I did notice that my PH is very high (over 8), but I’m thinking that’s because of the high chlorine and at any rate, with no pump, I don’t think I should try to add acid. I figure I can handle the PH easy enough once the power is back up and my pump is running.

Anything else I should do? Or, anything I’m doing that I shouldn’t?

Thanks.

Forgot to put in my original post - What happens to the water in the pipes and the filter (the system) that hadn’t moved for days? Will there be a mess when I do turn the pump back on? Should I open up the filter now or just deal with it when power is back on.

Reactions: JessM
Forgot to put in my original post - What happens to the water in the pipes and the filter (the system) that hadn’t moved for days? Will there be a mess when I do turn the pump back on? Should I open up the filter now or just deal with it when power is back on.
I doubt anything will happen; the water in the pipes is chlorinated and in the dark. If you keep the FC up while the power is out, I would think you’ll fire right back up to normal.

Reactions: pb4uswim
It wouldn’t hurt to run hot for several days just to be sure nothing creeped in while the power was out. Say, for example, algae did grow in the pipes. It’s 20 (?) gallons and easily eaten by the pool volume if it’s properly treated. But that might use up some of your regular buffer FC to stay clear of minimum and sneak up on you.

Or just monitor it a few more times than normal to make sure you still have enough FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.