Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
When I was working around my filter, my foot accidentally hit the bonding wire that connects the pool to the pump, and it the wire popped out of the nut.

No big deal, place it back in the nut and tighten.

One weird thing did happen though - As soon as the bonding wire came off, the pump stopped. I checked, and the GFCI on the circuit breaker tripped when the bonding wire was knocked off.

Question: Does this mean that there was electricity going to the pool and the differential of when the bonding wire got knocked off ended up tripping the GFCI?

Not good. Bonding wire shouldn’t affect function or GFCI at all unless something significant is wrong with the wiring.

Crud.

That's what I was afraid of.

Time to get a new pump?

Or check the connections as Bama mentioned - not sure how comfortable I am with that.

I’d pull the bond wire off of the pump and measure the AC voltage between the bond lug and the wire.

Unless you are very familiar with electrical wiring, I would suggest you will need professional help if some of the simple checks don’t turn up anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.