San Antonio
I've 2-3 days off my SLAM, here are the results this morning:

FC 4.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.6
TA 170
CH 280
CYA 35 (estimated bw 30 and 40).

Per the app I need to lower my ph and that will lower my TA. App also wants me to add Calcium Chloride (16 lbs) to raise my CH.

Do I get my TA and pH stabilized prior to raising my CH? Or does it not matter?

With the SLAM a thing of the past, you can certainly work on lowering the TA if you like. Below is the page. Once you get the TA down to about 100, take your time and watch the pH rate if increase. If the pH seems to rise really fast, you can continue to lower TA to about 70 or so. Once the pH seems to remain steady for a few days, the TA should be good.

For the CH, if your water is fairly hard like mine is, I'd only take the CH up to about 300-325 since future summer top-ffs should increase the CH more. But you can add the calcium at any time. For FC/CYA Levels purposes, round-up your CYA to 40.

Reactions: JoeSelf
Thanks. Going to work on it once the rain stops. What product (calcium chloride) do you add? I see home depot "pool time" sells a product but didn't know if there was something else I should be using.

What product (calcium chloride) do you add?
Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

Plug your numbers into poolmath and look at the CSI.
Compare before and after, and also see what temperature does to CSI. You will soon see that CH has less of an effect than you think. I wouldn't add any more CH because when things heat up, which they will soon, you'll be topping off and CH will come up on its own. Are you above the recommended low? Yes. With TA at 90 and all else the same, are you at risk of etching? No. Then why mess with it?

Constantly fiddling with things to reach some target when there isn't really anything wrong is pool store strategy. Your TA is too high. Your CSI is up there in the danger zone. So deal with it and leave the rest alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.