South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Had to rely on the pool place #'s and some left handed math to accomplish the SLAM while I waited for my test kit, but it worked. Pool is gin clear.

Taylor PH test - this seems so subjective using the square vile to measure PH. How are you guys getting readings in tenths? What am I missing?

Also still fuzzy on whether or not SWG causes spike in PH. Everything I've read up to last night seemed to support that, but ran across a recent thread where several forum big dogs said NO. ??

Shooting for FC 7, TC 7, PH 7.6, CYA 70, TA 70.
Using the Pool Calculator for dosing.
Also doing the overnight chlorine loss test tonight
Adding stabilizer via a sock in the skimmer tomorrow to bring CYA up to 70

Thoughts?

FCTCPHCYATA
7/19/20237.57.57.98192pool almost clear after 6 day SLAM
7/21/20237.67.67.68487plugged SWG back on
7/22/20237.57.97.86977continuing to clear (bumped SWG to 60% after heavy weekend use)
7/25/20238.18.37.97279Pool gin clear SWG back at 40%
7 day ave ppol place test7.77.87.876.583.8
1st test with TF200611.512.07.6 ?40.090.0
Was running SWG 20 hrs a day at 40%. IC60 Pump runs from 5am until 1am. Changed today to 16hrs, 9pm to 1pm
PH rises .3 - .5 every 3 to 4 days adding 32 - 36oz MA weekly

pH rise is more associated with high TA fill water. Not really anything to do with the SWCG.

pH color block is what it is.. generally any pH in the 7's is ok. But with a SWCG, you need to track CSI to avoid SWCG scaling.

Can you fill out your signature so we know what equipment you have? Type of pool?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm not sure what the trouble is with your PH measurement, you match the color to the comparitor and that's the reading. Screenshot_20230726_172523_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I also use the R-0005, acid demand reagent to determine the dosee to acheive the desired PH.

Some notes 📝
Be sure to do the cya test in bright light- outdoors on a sunny day is best.
Here’s the detailed instructions:
If your cya is accurate after ensuring you have performed the test properly then you will need to increase it to around 70ppm (as you have planned) to help protect the fc your swcg makes from the sun.
Before increasing cya or calling the
SLAM Process a success you definitely need to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
Also, use PoolMath for calculations.
The swcg itself does not increase ph (except momentarily inside the cell itself which doesn’t affect the overall ph of the pool)
It is simply not lowering ph like acidic Trichlor/dichlor products do. Same with liquid chlorine. They are neutral.
The TA & amount of aeration have a ton more influence on ph rise.
As mentioned filling out your signature with your equipment & pool details (volume, plaster/vinyl/fiberglass, pump, features etc) will help everyone figure out what your run times & % notes mean & what to expect.

OCLT results .5ppm loss
re did cya test in the sun (after adding stabilzer yesterday b4 OCLT) Measured 50. Adding stabilzer now to bring it up to 70

ph - disregard. I think posts where 7.6 was mentioned as the ideal level threw me As there is no 7.6 on the either of the comparitor’s that I have. They go from 7.5 to 7.8. Measured at 7.5 this morning.

Last edited:
Great 👍🏻
Now just set the swg to maintain target 🎯 range fc. I like to maintain 10% of my cya or a dab higher- it’s easy to remember & gives plenty of wiggle room for what life may throw at you.
Is your pump a single speed or vsp?
It looks like 100% for 12hrs/50% for 24hrs puts you producing about 4ppm/day which is normal daily consumption for the south this time of year.
IMG_7006.png
You can play around with the % & run times in PoolMath effects of adding in the hamburger menu.
I also don’t see your ch results above.
Low ch isn’t an issue with vinyl pools but high ch can be an issue with all pools & can cause scaling of surfaces & equipment like your swcg.
In poolmath settings ⚙️ turn on csi tracking-

Reactions: SCpoolboy
Pump is a single speed.
So no running around the clock then $$$$
Here’s about what your current settings provide
IMG_7008.png
You’re probably going to need to bump that up.
Average fc loss in an algae free residential pool is 2-5ppm/day give or take.
More in the peak of summer - less in the shoulder months.

ph - disregard. I think posts where 7.6 was mentioned as the ideal level threw me As there is no 7.6 on the either of the comparitor’s that I have. They go from 7.5 to 7.8. Measured at 7.5 this morning.
I think one of the kits has a comparator block with an additional graduation... can't remember which.

Reactions: SCpoolboy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.