Possibly Converting to Salt--ARE THE MONTHLY CHEMICAL SAVINGS REALLY THERE??

I use 1/2 gallon chlorine per day and my pool is the same size as yours. I live in upstate SC so I am not too far from you. I do buy 55 gallons of bleach at a time but it equals to $2.50 per gallon. 100 gallons will get me from March to October and will cost me $275. My stenner pump runs 40 minutes per day total. I had looked at the SWG for myself before installing the stenner pump but couldnt justify the cost, and knowing it would have to be replaced every 3 or so years. I found the stenner pump used for $60. I purchased all new hoses and misc fittings and maybe had $100 in everything. Now it's just the cost of replacing the stenner hose, less than $20 and filling the barrel with chlorine each season. I have no idea why you are using so much chlorine. Even at $3 per gallon thats over 60 gallons per month!

I'm switching over to SWG as well. I'm in South Charlotte, when the pool was running I spent roughly 175-195 a month in chemicals from June to September. I usually go through three 3" chlorine tablets a week, 8 pounds of shock a week, and of course the occasionally muratic acid, clearifier, phosphate plus, etc...our pool gets almost 100% daytime sunlight.

EddieMc, your costs are related to using pool store methods rather that the use of liquid chlorine vs SWG. When using the TFP method, you won't use weekly shock, clearifier, phosphate plus, etc. The SWG will help as a chlorine source, but an understanding of the TFP methods in Pool School will help more.

Cost aside. Going away last week for 12 days and not worrying about my fc level was awesome compared to last year when I conned my buddy into testing and dosing everyday for me.

And not having to add chlorine anymore except if I have a heavy bath load is awesome. I added liquid once so far this summer.

I didn't sit down and do the math when switching this year to a SWG. I figured it'd be close to a wash. Likely the #s skew one way or the other. But as others have mentioned convenience is huge. And TIME is money. With liquid chlorine you're constantly bargin hunting bleach, buying and storing bleach. Handling empty jugs. Daily dosing the pool. EVERY DAY. Out of town for the weekend? Maybe triple your dose, and hope you're still good when you get back. Any longer, you better have somebody tending the pool.

With the SWG your responsibilities drop to checking the chlorine and PH #s occasionally. Make minor adjustments. I don't have a good source of liquid chlorine nearby. Can't find 12.5% anymore. Best I can get is 10%. Best deal local seemed to be Walmart's 6%, which means more hauling bottles. But not having to keep up with the daily chlorine dose is PRICELESS.

2-3 bags of salt a year? I go thru a bag about every 10 days!
My Hayward cell just died last week, installed 8-2012. Didn’t realize it was dead, as it kept saying low salt which I added. Now my salt level is over 5000. Only way to lower it that I know is dump a LOT of water out, and refill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2-3 bags of salt a year? I go thru a bag about every 10 days!
My Hayward cell just died last week, installed 8-2012. Didn’t realize it was dead, as it kept saying low salt which I added. Now my salt level is over 5000. Only way to lower it that I know is dump a LOT of water out, and refill.
Guess with salt at 5000 that explains why so many bags salt. Honestly, I only added 2 bags last year, and my area gets lots of rain and pool is open all year.

I'd recommend getting test kit to measure salt level. It would have avoided the problem you have now with high salt level and would also indicate that cell was failing. Would have paid for itself just in the amount you spent on unneeded salt.

EddieMc, your costs are related to using pool store methods rather that the use of liquid chlorine vs SWG. When using the TFP method, you won't use weekly shock, clearifier, phosphate plus, etc. The SWG will help as a chlorine source, but an understanding of the TFP methods in Pool School will help more.

You're absolutely right. We had so many troubles with our pool, using the pool store method!!! Some of the troubles we had though were, in my opinion, equipment related. The piping was 1-1/2 with an incredible amount of fittings, a sand filter that needed to be back washed every 24 to 36 hours, the pool pump motor could not be turned off. If we turned the motor off, in order to start it I would need to replace the cap. The list goes on and on.

I just finished all of our new plumbing, I've studied the heck out of TFP "Pool School" and have a very good understanding. This is a great Forum which I love so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.